Explore a snapshot of Narre Warren and its surrounds from the 1840s to now at Voices from the Past. The event, which is part of 2017 Australian Heritage Festival, will have displays, photos and talks on early European settlers and how to trace family heritage. Guests are invited to share stories, and bring photos and family keep-sakes.
- Sunday 7 May, 1pm-4pm at Narre Warren Mechanics Institute Hall, 59 Webb Street. Free entry with Devonshire tea available. Details 9704 8376.
Something different for seniors
Come and try a game of table tennis with the Narre Warren Seniors Club. Male and female players are welcome. Friendly games just for fun and exercise. Entry fee is $1 and sharing coffee, tea and biscuits makes it a social morning with friends. Free coaching is provided.
- Saturday mornings from 9.30am-noon. 192-196 Centre Road, near the Narre Warren railway station. Contact 9704 0015 or 0426 736 467.
Dr Duane Hamacher, astronomer and senior research fellow at the Monash University Indigenous Studies Centre, shares the many ways in which Indigenous Australians encode scientific information in their traditions and some of the ways in which they pass this knowledge to successive generations. Features videos of dances, songs and interviews with elders.
- Saturday 6 May, 10am-11am. Doveton Library, 28 Autumn Place, Doveton. Free event. Library contact 9792 9497.
Come and browse this free community market.
- Saturday 6 May, 10.30am-2.30pm. 21a Bemersyde Drive, Berwick. Contact 0490 029 133.
Learn about the habitat needs of local fauna and how to incorporate it into a home garden. Bookings are essential on the Casey Green events webpage to book.
- Saturday 6 May, 1pm-3pm. Corner Ballarto Road and Botanic Drive, Cranbourne. Contact 9705 5200.