Fire tears through home

SES crews assisted in tarping the roof. 200710_03

By Brendan Rees

A Cranbourne home went up in flames during the early hours of Saturday morning, 9 November.

Firefighters from Cranbourne and Narre Warren were called to the blaze on Taddor Drive about 2.10am after the fire tore through the front room of the front room.

A crew from Narre Warren SES were also on scene to help tarp roof as a result of the fire damage.

“The ceiling had burnt through and in its place stood thick beams of wood, blackened and charred,” SES crew leader Barry Sutherland said.

Fire crews managed to get the fire under control just before 2.40am but not much of living room had escaped the flames.

While the family was clearly devastated, thankfully no one was injured.

“As we looked towards the ceiling we could see just how dangerous the situation was as roof tiles were threatening to come crashing down,” Mr Sutherland said.

“Our job was to try and make the home as safe as humanly possible,” he added.

It is not known how started the fire, a CFA spokesman said, however it’s believed the home’s wood fire heater may have triggered it.

Crews cleared some of the more precarious roof tiles which were balancing on the burnt-out beams before SES volunteers could manoeuvre the tarps onto the roof.

Mr Sutherland said although there were dangers involved his priority was his crew’s safety,”

“We’re all volunteers. Yes, we do this because we’re committed to ensuring the safety of our community, but not at the risk of my team’s safety,” he said.

“The firefighters who attended the fire during the night did a fantastic job in saving the majority of the house”.

Police were also called to assist with traffic control.

 

Your first stop before buying a home. View the whole picture.