CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Coal fire at quarry

Coal fire at quarry

By Brendan Rees

Fire crews extinguished a fire that engulfed up to almost 10000 tonnes of coal at a quarry in Cranbourne East last Tuesday.
The Country Fire Authority was called to the fire at Burdett’s quarry on Thompsons Road at about 12pm on 23 January.
Cranbourne Station Officer Sam Watterson said the coal stack was believed to have reignited from a previous fire around Christmas time last year.
“Our initial concerns were only community exposure for carbon monoxide. That’s one of our key learnings from the Hazelwood fire,” he said.
CFA issued a safety message to residents saying there was no immediate threat to the community at about 1pm.
Mr Watterson added the risk to surrounding property was low as there were not many houses in the area.
The fire was brought under control within an hour, but 30 firefighters remained at the site until 5pm to ensure the fire was out, he said.
He said coal can be difficult to put out but was confident they were on top of the fire at the quarry.
“This time we’ve pulled the pile apart with an excavator and worked pretty methodically with thermal imaging cameras to make sure we get all the hot spots.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    The City of Casey has unanimously voted to submit a notice of motion to Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV), calling on the State Government to consider reforms to reduce impacts…

  • Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Cranbourne West residents are invited to have their say on plans to refresh Bernborough Avenue Reserve. The proposed district playground renewal aims to make the reserve more welcoming, enjoyable and…

  • Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 470334 Residents are still seeking answers over an advanced-waste plan that’s extending the life of waste facilities near Hampton Park homes, says Casey Residents…

  • Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work (WMIW), a grassroots network supporting women in business across Casey and Cardinia, marked its 20th anniversary with the launch of a new book sharing the personal…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…