CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Young jockey dies after fall

Young jockey dies after fall

An apprentice jockey from Clyde has died after a tragic accident at Cranbourne Racecourse on Friday 30 August.

Police say it’s believed the 22-year-old Clyde woman was riding a horse at a racecourse on Grant Street about 4.35am when she fell.

Her death is not being treated as suspicious and police will prepare a report for the Coroner.

Victoria Police and WorkSafe are investigating the circumstances of the incident in which no other riders were injured.

Racing Victoria released a statement of the young jockey’s death.

“It is with great sadness that Racing Victoria (RV) confirms that a female jockey has tragically passed away following an incident at the Cranbourne Training Centre this morning,” the statement said.

“Victoria Police and WorkSafe are on-site investigating the circumstances of the incident in which no other riders were injured.”

Cranbourne trainer Trent Busuttin described the death as a “heartbreaking.”


“It’s a terrible situation,” he said.

“Racing Victoria and Cranbourne Turf Club are doing what they can.”

He said all staff were shocked by the incident: “It’s a pretty sombre mood.”

“Obviously your main thoughts are with family and her friends and her partner,” Mr Busuttin said.

He described the jockeys at Cranbourne Racecourse as a “tight bunch” and the incident “just showcases how dangerous it is.”

“It’s a dangerous profession, it’s just a sad event.”

“You can put in all the procedures but you know they’re animals,” he said.

Christine Reeve, who is a track-work rider at the Cranbourne Training Centre, said she had been riding about the time the incident occurred.

“It’s just a very, very sad and tragic morning for everybody.”

“You just don’t expect it to happen,” she said.

“We all as riders are aware of things that can happen.

“Just driving a car it can happen. Riding a horse, it can happen,” she added.

It wasn’t until she got back to the horse stalls that she heard the news.

“It’s just sad because a lot of the people involved with people are just young people – they’ve got their lives ahead of them,” Ms Reeve said.

RV announced track work at the Cranbourne Training Centre was closed following the incident and a race meeting at Pakenham had also been abandoned on Friday.

“RV, the Victorian Jockeys Association (VJA) and the Cranbourne Turf Club are offering assistance to the family and local racing community at this tragic time,” RV said in a statement.

The statement continued: “The meeting has been abandoned in the interests of participant welfare and out of respect for the rider and her family.”

“RV and VJA are providing counselling support to the rider’s family, her colleagues and the racing community.



“Those needing confidential counselling are encouraged to contact Stableline on 1300 520 122.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Bulls dominate Pakenham

    Bulls dominate Pakenham

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533225 Cardinia rebounded in a big way and pushed Pakenham’s season to the brink on day one of round 13 in the Casey Cardinia…

  • Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 403433 February is piling up with credit card debt, back-to-school bills and higher interest rates – so the time is more than ripe for…

  • $250m Cranbourne South Hindu temple referral pulled for redesign

    $250m Cranbourne South Hindu temple referral pulled for redesign

    Plans for a proposed $250 million Hindu temple precinct in Cranbourne South’s green wedge have been put on hold after the applicant withdrew its Federal environmental referral, citing a redesign…

  • Clyde North safety breaches lead to $700k fine

    Clyde North safety breaches lead to $700k fine

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 166670 Construction works in Clyde North have been in the spotlight after roofing company Proform Roofing (Vic) Pty Ltd was fined $700,000 over multiple…

  • PM celebrates Ramadan Night Market

    PM celebrates Ramadan Night Market

    Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has helped launch Dandenong’s Ramadan Night Market for its second year, marking the beginning of the holy month of Ramadan. He was escorted down Thomas Street…