CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Jamila’s calm in a crisis

Jamila’s calm in a crisis

Franco and Elizabeth Cassetta are proud of their daughter Jamila for receiving a Junior Triple Zero Hero award. Picture: STEWART CHAMBERS Franco and Elizabeth Cassetta are proud of their daughter Jamila for receiving a Junior Triple Zero Hero award. Picture: STEWART CHAMBERS

By BRIDGET COOK
CRANBOURNE’s Jamila Cassetta was already a hero in her parent’s eyes.
But now the eight-year-old has been recognised for her heroic act by others, last week being awarded a Junior Triple Zero Hero award from the Emergency Services Telecommunications Authority (ESTA).
Jamila was nominated for the award by ESTA for calling Triple Zero after her dad Franco became unwell with severe abdominal pain.
Jamila’s parents are both deaf, so she answered the Triple Zero operator’s questions in a calm manner, signing details to her mum and dad to reassure them that an ambulance had been organised.
Jamila said she was a bit nervous when she had to make the call, but was able to stay calm.
She said she was happy to receive the award, and had already taken it to school to show off to her classmates.
Jamila’s mother Elizabeth said they were very proud of her daughter.
“We are both deaf, so she had to ring and she helped us,” she said.
“The relay service would have taken much longer, so it was great Jamila was able to help.
“She was quite good at explaining the address and what the problem was.
“We are very proud.”
Jamila received her Junior Triple Zero Hero award at a ceremony on Friday by the Minister for Police and Emergency Services Peter Ryan, with guest presenter Chris Sebastian from The Voice.
Twenty one other children were also presented with the awards at the same ceremony, which has now been running for nine years.
“The bravery of Victoria’s Triple Zero Heroes is remarkable, considering how emergency situations can send even the calmest adults into a panic,” Mr Ryan said.
“These youngsters have taken control despite family and friends experiencing a severe illness or attack and in fire emergencies, to ultimately save lives or protect their homes and communities.”
ESTA’s chief executive Ken Shymanski said the awards were to recognise and reward the youngsters’ initiative.
“These young people’s actions demonstrate the importance of teaching children about Triple Zero,” he said.
“It is very important that children know where they live and the nearest corner street or intersection so we can pinpoint exactly where they are in an emergency.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    The City of Casey has unanimously voted to submit a notice of motion to Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV), calling on the State Government to consider reforms to reduce impacts…

  • Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Cranbourne West residents are invited to have their say on plans to refresh Bernborough Avenue Reserve. The proposed district playground renewal aims to make the reserve more welcoming, enjoyable and…

  • Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 470334 Residents are still seeking answers over an advanced-waste plan that’s extending the life of waste facilities near Hampton Park homes, says Casey Residents…

  • Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work (WMIW), a grassroots network supporting women in business across Casey and Cardinia, marked its 20th anniversary with the launch of a new book sharing the personal…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…