CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Year In Review – New Church Feud

Year In Review – New Church Feud

A $3 million proposal to develop a new church at 67 Shrives Road, Narre Warren South sparked fierce debate among local residents, with many voicing concerns over traffic congestion, inadequate infrastructure, and the potential disruption to the neighbourhood’s character.

The Immanuel Mar Thoma Church (IMTC), which purchased the property in 2018, sought council approval to build a place of worship for 200 attendees, with 58 designated parking spaces.

However, residents argued that the existing road network was ill-equipped to handle the expected increase in traffic and activity.

Long-time resident Geoff Warner, who has lived in the area for over two decades, expressed concerns over safety and congestion, saying that “Shrives Road is already a danger, especially during peak hours”.

“If they’re going to overflow and park on nature strips, we’ll be stuck.”

Fellow neighbours Mark Sowden and Pierre Camilleri echoed these concerns, adding that even the current, single-lane conditions make it difficult to navigate the area during busy periods, particularly with the nearby kindergarten in operation.

Residents also raised objections about they said was a lack of consultation and transparency surrounding the project, where in a letter submitted by members of the IMTC’s current congregation in Hampton Park, concerns were raised about the proposal’s capacity, noting that their existing location already struggles with overflow parking.

The letter stated that the proposed project did not account for future growth and that there was a need for a larger site in a commercial zone.

Despite these objections, IMTC building convener Alex Varghese defended the proposal, stating that the church had revised its plans multiple times in response to Casey Council’s feedback.

He explained that initial plans included a parsonage and central parking, but those were modified to reduce bulk and move the structure closer to Shrives Road.

“We removed the parsonage, shifted the church forward, and adopted the left-in, left-out traffic rule proposed by VicRoads to address congestion,” Varghese said.

Varghese also emphasised the church’s long-standing commitment to community welfare, pointing to initiatives such as blood drives, toy donations, and bushfire relief efforts.

“Our church has always been about giving back to the community, and this new site will help us continue those efforts,” he said.

Additionally, Varghese clarified misconceptions about the frequency of church events, noting that services primarily occur on Sundays and that daily attendance is minimal.

“The busiest days will be Good Friday and Christmas, like any other place of worship,” he added.

While IMTC remains hopeful for a favourable council decision, tensions persist among locals.

A Facebook group titled “No Church here thank you” had been actively encouraging residents to submit objections before the council’s expected ruling after 29 July 2024.

Warner, who met with council officials alongside other residents, maintained that improvements to Shrives Road, such as footpaths and lane widening, should be prioritised before any development is approved.

“Without proper infrastructure, it’s just too dangerous,” he said.

Despite a traffic report claiming that the development would have minimal impact on Sunday morning traffic, residents remained sceptical, citing the road’s existing issues and lack of pedestrian amenities.

Varghese acknowledged the frustrations but urged residents to direct their concerns to the council, adding that “this isn’t about fighting with the neighbours, it’s about working through the proper process.”

During that waiting process, and as the City of Casey reviewed the proposal, the community remained divided.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    The City of Casey has unanimously voted to submit a notice of motion to Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV), calling on the State Government to consider reforms to reduce impacts…

  • Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Cranbourne West residents are invited to have their say on plans to refresh Bernborough Avenue Reserve. The proposed district playground renewal aims to make the reserve more welcoming, enjoyable and…

  • Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 470334 Residents are still seeking answers over an advanced-waste plan that’s extending the life of waste facilities near Hampton Park homes, says Casey Residents…

  • Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work (WMIW), a grassroots network supporting women in business across Casey and Cardinia, marked its 20th anniversary with the launch of a new book sharing the personal…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…