CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Saluting servicemen

Saluting servicemen

South East servicemen and local MPs have come together to commemorate all of those lost during and after national service.

The National Servicemen’s Association South East branch held its annual commemorative march in Buchanan Park, Berwick on Sunday 15 October, with Australian Army, Air Force and Navy cadets in attendance.

National Servicemen’s Association South East branch president Mike Smith said the weather held off for the event.

“It was a pretty near-perfect day,” he said.

Great War Association representatives also attended to provide a rifle volley, while the Dandenong Brass Band accompanied the march.

Attendees included Major General Jim Barry AM and National Servicemen’s Association state president Robert McIvor OAM, as well as Bruce MP Julian Hill and South Eastern Metropolitan MP Ann-Marie Hermans.

Commonly known as ‘Nashos’, the association was founded to champion veteran health, welfare, and legacy for almost four decades.

Between 1951 and 1972, almost 300,000 young men were called into two separate schemes for compulsory training in the navy, army, and air force, where 212 died in active service in Borneo and Vietnam.

Last year marked 50 years since the last intake of men were conscripted to join the National Service Scheme before it was abolished by a newly-elected Whitlam Labor government in 1972.

Star News photographer Rob Carew helped capture the service.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    The City of Casey has unanimously voted to submit a notice of motion to Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV), calling on the State Government to consider reforms to reduce impacts…

  • Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Cranbourne West residents are invited to have their say on plans to refresh Bernborough Avenue Reserve. The proposed district playground renewal aims to make the reserve more welcoming, enjoyable and…

  • Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 470334 Residents are still seeking answers over an advanced-waste plan that’s extending the life of waste facilities near Hampton Park homes, says Casey Residents…

  • Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work (WMIW), a grassroots network supporting women in business across Casey and Cardinia, marked its 20th anniversary with the launch of a new book sharing the personal…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…