CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Bandits caught on cam

Bandits caught on cam

Would-be thieves have used a sledge hammer to try to break into a Tooradin supermarket in the early hours of Wednesday 22 July.

FoodWorks manager Jon Hewitt said four males pulled up in a Toyota Hilux when they tried to smash their way into the South Gippsland Highway store at 3.40am.

“They tried for a minute and realised it wasn’t going to be an easy entry for them so they bailed,” he said.

CCTV captured the bandits smashing the front glass door repeatedly.

“One guy just popped the crow bar in between the doors; tried to wedge the doors open,” Mr Hewitt said, while another threw up a blanket onto the glass before striking it with a sledgehammer.

“The glass flew probably 20 metres … they were hitting hard,” he said.

“The glass obviously held up which is great. Since then we’ve replaced our locks and put a couple of extra locks on.”

Mr Hewitt said the males left the scene and drove off.

He said the Hilux had muddy tyres and a steel canopy but a registration was able to be obtained.

The males were described as 18 to 27 years old and of slim build.

One was wearing grey track pants with a fluoro Adidas logo on the side.

On the same morning between 3am and 4am, thieves also broke into the Hair Ware Fashion store at Southland Gippsland Highway in Tooradin, where intruders stole $20,000 worth of stock. However, it’s not known if the two incidents are linked.

A Victoria Police spokesman said police were investigating the incident.

“Police are investigating the exact circumstances surrounding the incident and the investigation is ongoing,” the spokesman said.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

 

 

Digital Editions


More News

  • Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    The City of Casey has unanimously voted to submit a notice of motion to Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV), calling on the State Government to consider reforms to reduce impacts…

  • Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Cranbourne West residents are invited to have their say on plans to refresh Bernborough Avenue Reserve. The proposed district playground renewal aims to make the reserve more welcoming, enjoyable and…

  • Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 470334 Residents are still seeking answers over an advanced-waste plan that’s extending the life of waste facilities near Hampton Park homes, says Casey Residents…

  • Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work (WMIW), a grassroots network supporting women in business across Casey and Cardinia, marked its 20th anniversary with the launch of a new book sharing the personal…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…