By Brendan Rees
A classic car has been reduced to twisted metal after fire ravaged a Pearcedale shed on Friday night, 15 May.
Some 20 firefighters were called to the blaze on Coolibah Road just before 6.30pm where they found the shed well-alight.
The owner’s prized car, a 1976 Holden HQ, was destroyed as a result of the fire, which was believed to have been accidentally caused by a spark from a welder.
“They tried to fan or smother it and within 15 seconds they couldn’t do anything about it and they got out,” a Pearcedale Fire Brigade spokesperson said.
Eight fire trucks from Pearcedale, Tyabb, Devon Meadows, Cranbourne, and Somerville brought the fire under control within an hour.
One man was taken to Frankston Hospital in a stable condition after suffering smoke inhalation just after 9pm.
The shed, about 20m by 30m, was completely destroyed along with furniture and hay bales.
Crews also returned the following morning to extinguish hot spots.
According to Pearcedale Fire Brigade the owners are hoping insurance will cover the majority of the damage.
CFA issued a safety message to the community warning of significant smoke in the area at the time.