Gas leaks keeps children indoors

Children were kept indoors at Wilandra Rise Primary School as a precaution after a gas leak.

By Brendan Rees

A leak from a raptured gas main forced students at Wilandra Rise Primary in Clyde North to remain indoors during the morning of Thursday, 5 December.

Two CFA trucks were called to the school just after 9am, a CFA spokesman said, with firefighters from Cranbourne and Narre Warren bringing the incident under control at 9.18am.

Workers from the Australian Gas Network were called to fix the problem.

An Education department spokesperson said classes were held as normal and children were kept indoors “as a precaution”.

“No-one was affected and the leak was fixed,” the spokesperson said, adding the gas leak came the other side of a boundary fence.

All students were told they could go outside by lunchtime.

Firefighters from Cranbourne and Narre Warren were in attendance.

It’s understood police were also called to the school.

Your first stop before buying a home. View the whole picture.