CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Crime leaves Mayor ‘heartbroken’

Crime leaves Mayor ‘heartbroken’

By Brendan Rees

Crime statistics featured prominently throughout the Cranbourne News in 2017 but it was in March that the state’s official statistics had then Casey Mayor Sam Aziz “heartbroken.”
“We’ve lost the battle,” Cr Aziz declared in response to Casey’s crime rate which had soared during 2016.
According to the Crime Statistics Agency (CSA), reported offences in Casey went up 12.5 per cent on a per-capita basis (15 per cent on raw figures).
It was higher than the state wide per-capita crime-rate rise of 10.2 per cent.
“I was a bit more than surprised by the (latest statistics),” Cr Aziz said at the time. “I was heart-broken. There is very much a human side to these statistics.”
The data showed there was equivalent to 40 assaults, about 55 burglaries and about 150 thefts a week.
In her defence, Police Minister Lisa Neville said police were making more arrests than ever as part of a crime crackdown across the state.
In April things did not get better as Casey had been confirmed the home invasion of the capital in Victoria for 2016, when the latest official crime statistics were published.
Fast forward to December and incredibly the CSA revealed crime rates in Casey had fallen for the first time in five years.
There was massive falls in reported burglaries and break-ins (18 per cent), thefts (17 per cent) and robberies (21 per cent), however crimes-against-the-person continued to rise.
Ms Neville said aggravated burglaries – a “high-harm” crime that caused fear in the community – had dropped for the first time.
She attributed it to police strategies and tactics and additional police “starting to make an on-going significant downward trend” in crime.
 

Digital Editions


  • Tons galore in lower grades

    Tons galore in lower grades

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533224 B GRADE Table-leaders Pakenham Upper/Toomuc have been set a monumental task by Tooradin after the Seagulls posted 267…

More News

  • Food for thought ahead of bigger Ramadan Night Market

    Food for thought ahead of bigger Ramadan Night Market

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467847 Excitement grows ahead of the upcoming three-week Ramadan Night Market that promises to be bigger and better, but existing traders in Dandenong have…

  • Minister’s warm welcome to Wellsprings

    Minister’s warm welcome to Wellsprings

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532816 Wellsprings for Women welcomed the Federal Minister for Multicultural Affairs, Dr Anne Aly, who saw first hand the South East-based centre’s efforts to…

  • Colourful weekend

    Colourful weekend

    It was a colourful weekend for more than 100 community members who attended the council’s annual rainbow picnic. Held at Berwick’s Old Cheese Factory on Saturday 7 February, over 120…

  • EPA, Veolia at odds over toxic-waste cell

    EPA, Veolia at odds over toxic-waste cell

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 228738 The state’s pollution watchdog says it remains opposed to a new toxic-waste cell at a controversial hazardous-waste landfill at Taylors Road, Lyndhurst. In…

  • Men’s Shed awards wombat warrior for special collaboration

    Men’s Shed awards wombat warrior for special collaboration

    Akoonah Park Men’s Shed gave a unique honour last week to a woman who has dedicated many years to wildlife conservation, collaborating with the men’s group to create an innovative…