CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Second evacuation for school after suspicious bottle find

Second evacuation for school after suspicious bottle find

By GEORGIA WESTGARTH

A SECOND suspicious plastic bottle was found at Tooradin Primary School and the bomb squad called to assist local police, on Tuesday 12 July.
The suspicious device was found at 8.40am, and the whole school was evacuated to the oval as a precaution.
A message was sent out to the entire school community, headlined: ‘Evacuating School as a Precaution’.
A spokeswoman from Victoria Police said the plastic bottle found had liquid inside it.
“Police don’t believe that the new bottle was left at the school today, they believe it had been there since yesterday,” she said.
On the first day back at school, on Monday 11 July, a student found the bottle during clean up and disposed of it in a bin outside an office.
Senior Sergeant Nathan Prowd from the Pakenham Police Station was alerted to the incident about 3.30pm on Monday and made a statement.
“It didn’t seem suspicious, just general rubbish,” Snr Sgt Prowd said.
But during the course of the day the bottle ruptured in the bin and a strong gas smell drifted into the adjacent office space.
“Some type of liquid has been released,” Snr Sgt Prowd said.
“We’ve had nine staff members with very minor symptoms shown and the staff immediately evacuated,” he said.
About 20 students were also removed from the building and accompanied staff onto the school oval.
Four CFA trucks attended and firefighters ventilated the office space and took the bottle onto the school oval.
No-one required hospital treatment and the police investigation is ongoing.
Anyone with information on the two suspicious bottles is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    The City of Casey has unanimously voted to submit a notice of motion to Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV), calling on the State Government to consider reforms to reduce impacts…

  • Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Cranbourne West residents are invited to have their say on plans to refresh Bernborough Avenue Reserve. The proposed district playground renewal aims to make the reserve more welcoming, enjoyable and…

  • Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 470334 Residents are still seeking answers over an advanced-waste plan that’s extending the life of waste facilities near Hampton Park homes, says Casey Residents…

  • Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work (WMIW), a grassroots network supporting women in business across Casey and Cardinia, marked its 20th anniversary with the launch of a new book sharing the personal…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…