CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Train plan takes flight

Train plan takes flight

By GEORGIA WESTGARTH

PLANS to transform parts of the Cranbourne-Pakenham rail line into an elevated “sky rail” have been submitted to the State Government a part of their promise to remove 50 level crossings across Victoria by 2022.
Reports have outlined the ‘secret’ plans for a raised rail, two to four storeys above street level and running for several kilometres.
Shadow Minister for Planning David Davis has hit out at the idea, labelling it a “cheaper option” compared to underground lines and one that would “split communities in half”.
“There was a clear promise before the election to put rail lines underground at level crossing sites,” Mr Davis said.
“The negative visual and sound impacts will also result in falling property values in the vicinity of the elevated rail line.”
But a spokesperson for Minister for Public Transport, Jacinta Allan, said the sky rail was just one option for Melbourne’s busiest train line.
“We promised to remove every level crossing between Dandenong and Caulfield and we are still considering the best way to do that,“ they said.
While Mr Davis has expressed his concerns about how a sky rail could damage small businesses and retailers in the immediate area, RACV Public Policy General Manager, Brian Negus supports the State Government’s decision to “explore all options”.
Mr Negus said while most of Melbourne’s recent rail grade separations had been rail-under-road, it should not be assumed that this was the only way, or the best way of removing level crossings.
“Elevated rail is used successfully around the world and the concept of a so-called ‘sky train’ to replace level crossings could be feasible at a number of locations in Melbourne,” Mr Negus said.
What would you like to see at level crossings throughout your neighbourhood?

Digital Editions


  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as…

More News

  • Bloods’ depth does damage

    Bloods’ depth does damage

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533976 Springvale South has the runs on the board against Buckley Ridges after day one of the Dandenong District Cricket Association (DDCA) round 13…

  • Brazen daylight burglary at Berwick Jewellers, man taken to hospital

    Brazen daylight burglary at Berwick Jewellers, man taken to hospital

    Berwick Jewellers on High street were the latest victim of a violent daylight burglary, after a score of masked men stormed the business. Officers responded to reports of three masked…

  • Bakers sit in the box seat

    Bakers sit in the box seat

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533005 Silverton would require a miracle to make finals, but that hasn’t stopped the Bakers from posting a strong score on day one against…

  • Yabbies in pursuit of Cobras total to stay in hot finals race

    Yabbies in pursuit of Cobras total to stay in hot finals race

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533222 When the back is against the wall a response is needed. And Pakenham Upper/Toomuc’s back is pressed hard against the wall in a…

  • Cranny avoids the drop

    Cranny avoids the drop

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 530052 Valentine’s Day saw the last round of Weekend Pennant Bowls played as next week the finals begin. On a beautiful Saturday to play…

  • Tons galore in lower grades

    Tons galore in lower grades

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533224 B GRADE Table-leaders Pakenham Upper/Toomuc have been set a monumental task by Tooradin after the Seagulls posted 267 in the first innings at…

  • Clyde house fire leaves one injured, cause under investigation

    Clyde house fire leaves one injured, cause under investigation

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534668 Emergency services were called to a house fire in Clyde on Friday 13 February, with one person sustaining injury and taken to hospital.…

  • Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    An alleged serial car thief has been charged after using electronic key reprogramming devices to steal at least 25 cars across Melbourne, police say. The 27-year-old faces more than 60…

  • Funding call to further combat racism

    Funding call to further combat racism

    An anti-racism support network has provided its first insights after a year of documenting racism across the state, the first of its kind in Australia. The network, established in 2025…

  • New Library Lounge opens in Clyde

    New Library Lounge opens in Clyde

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534227 The Clyde Township Community Centre is now home to a new Library Lounge, providing residents in Clyde and surrounding areas access to library…