CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Hey Jude! Lend a hand

Hey Jude! Lend a hand

By GEORGIA WESTGARTH

DESPITE a big push from the City of Casey and Brookland Greens residents, Cranbourne MP Jude Perera has not answered desperate calls for a review into State Government provisions on share housing developments.
A powerless Casey council and neighbourhood of angry Cranbourne residents want to change the State Government laws which mean share housing can go ahead without prior council planning approval or consultations with neighbours.
And they have had no help from Mr Perera, despite numerous letters from Casey council officers.
The site at 5 Concord Place in the ‘upmarket’ Brookland Greens Estate has been subject to several protests and two petitions to stop a proposed development of two 10-place share houses.
Casey Mayor Cr Sam Aziz said the lack of council involvement in such developments was “absurd”.
“These residents are concerned about the impact the rooming house will have on amenity and safety including parking and noise and their concerns are rightly justified,” Cr Aziz said.
Prior to Christmas the City of Casey wrote to Mr Perera requesting he make “immediate and strong representations” to Minister for Planning Richard Wynne to review the planning scheme provisions for rooming houses.
But Cr Aziz said their correspondence was going unanswered “again”.
Cranbourne councillor Geoff Ablett said the City of Casey had been requesting assistance from Mr Perera for almost 12 months.
“Mr Perera has done nothing, and hasn’t even responded to letters seeking his involvement.
“We are calling for a review … and as an interim step, amend the planning scheme provisions to prohibit the establishment of further rooming houses (in Casey) without a planning permit,” Cr Ablett said.
Locals have labelled the proposal an “absurd situation”.
They fear the type of person the share houses, which could hold up to 20 people, could attract to their estate.
Former Casey Councillor Peter Giles, who lives adjacent to the site, approached the City of Casey in December last year proposing court action on behalf of the affected Casey residents.
But acting CEO at the City of Casey, Peter Fitchett, said it would be a fruitless legal battle.
“Council can only initiate legal proceedings against the development if there was a breach of planning laws,” Mr Fitchett advised.
“As it stands, the proposed shared accommodation proposal meets the State Government’s shared accommodation planning provisions.
“The City of Casey believes advocacy is far more effective.”
Distressed neighbour of the proposed development, Wendy Martyn, says she will sell up and move if the tenants turn out to be disruptive.
“We don’t know who will live there – it could become a halfway house for recovering drug addicts, could be low income earners and we are concerned for our safety and that these houses will lower the whole tone of the area,” Ms Martyn said.
Scared for the future of her prestigious and “peaceful” estate Ms Martyn said the share house in Dearing Avenue Cranbourne was a fine example and had pushed people to move elsewhere.
“The scary thing is it could happen anywhere in Casey, it’s a law in Victoria and it’s going under the radar,” she said.
Cr Ablett along with Shadow Minister for Planning Hon David Davis will be speaking to anxious residents at a meeting on Monday 25 at the Cranbourne Turf Club at 6pm.
In response to questions from the News, Mr Perera replied:
“We have received correspondence from the City of Casey in recent times and are aware of community concerns regarding this development.
“Planning is about people, and I always put the local voice of my community first.
“I have raised this issue with the Minister for Planning and we are working towards producing a positive outcome for the residents of Cranbourne.”

Digital Editions


  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as…

More News

  • Bloods’ depth does damage

    Bloods’ depth does damage

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533976 Springvale South has the runs on the board against Buckley Ridges after day one of the Dandenong District Cricket Association (DDCA) round 13…

  • Brazen daylight burglary at Berwick Jewellers, man taken to hospital

    Brazen daylight burglary at Berwick Jewellers, man taken to hospital

    Berwick Jewellers on High street were the latest victim of a violent daylight burglary, after a score of masked men stormed the business. Officers responded to reports of three masked…

  • Bakers sit in the box seat

    Bakers sit in the box seat

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533005 Silverton would require a miracle to make finals, but that hasn’t stopped the Bakers from posting a strong score on day one against…

  • Yabbies in pursuit of Cobras total to stay in hot finals race

    Yabbies in pursuit of Cobras total to stay in hot finals race

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533222 When the back is against the wall a response is needed. And Pakenham Upper/Toomuc’s back is pressed hard against the wall in a…

  • Cranny avoids the drop

    Cranny avoids the drop

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 530052 Valentine’s Day saw the last round of Weekend Pennant Bowls played as next week the finals begin. On a beautiful Saturday to play…

  • Tons galore in lower grades

    Tons galore in lower grades

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533224 B GRADE Table-leaders Pakenham Upper/Toomuc have been set a monumental task by Tooradin after the Seagulls posted 267 in the first innings at…

  • Clyde house fire leaves one injured, cause under investigation

    Clyde house fire leaves one injured, cause under investigation

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534668 Emergency services were called to a house fire in Clyde on Friday 13 February, with one person sustaining injury and taken to hospital.…

  • Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    An alleged serial car thief has been charged after using electronic key reprogramming devices to steal at least 25 cars across Melbourne, police say. The 27-year-old faces more than 60…

  • Funding call to further combat racism

    Funding call to further combat racism

    An anti-racism support network has provided its first insights after a year of documenting racism across the state, the first of its kind in Australia. The network, established in 2025…

  • New Library Lounge opens in Clyde

    New Library Lounge opens in Clyde

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534227 The Clyde Township Community Centre is now home to a new Library Lounge, providing residents in Clyde and surrounding areas access to library…