CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Mental health system questioned

Mental health system questioned

By CAM LUCADOU-WELLS

MENTAL Health Minister Martin Foley has said that careful consideration will be given to a Coroner’s findings into a man who killed a work colleague after being released from Casey Hospital’s mental health ward days earlier.
The findings into the 52-year-old Narre Warren victim’s death were released on 6 July, prompting his widow to pronounce the “broken” mental health system had let her family down.
The victim’s wife told the News that she had pushed for the inquest because she didn’t want another family to go through the same torment.
“My husband was in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong person,” she said.
“It could happen to anyone unless we see change.
“Our system is broken, and it needs to be fixed.”
In his findings, State Coroner John Olle recommended that acute-care mental health patients should have access to therapeutic recovery units and specialist forensic psychiatrists prior to their release.
Mr Foley said on Wednesday 8 July that “cases like this are always concerning”.
“My department has only just received the Coroner’s recommendations and will consider them carefully.”
He said such issues would be considered as the State Government developed its 10-year mental health strategic plan.
On Monday 6 July, Mr Olle found the victim had died from multiple injuries and immersion in a home swimming pool in Narre Warren on 25 January 2009.
The perpetrator – whose name was omitted in Mr Olle’s report – had an “alcohol dependence disorder” and killed the victim during a mutual weekend drinking session.
He had been released as an involuntary patient from Casey Hospital on 16 January after taking his parents hostage in a seven-hour siege two weeks earlier.
Mr Olle’s inquest focused on the killer’s medical management, but he emphasised his role was not to lay blame.
In his report, Mr Olle referred to the man making threats to kill beforehand, his frightened parents intending to take out intervention orders, and his instability and intimidation in the ward.
Two days before the fatal assault, a case manager interviewed the man and judged him to be threatening in manner but not a risk of harm to others, Mr Olle said.
“(His) hallucinations and delusions were still present and real to him.”
Mr Olle said the care by Monash Health staff was “not unreasonable or inappropriate” in the circumstances but “hindsight has revealed poor clinical decisions were made”.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    The City of Casey has unanimously voted to submit a notice of motion to Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV), calling on the State Government to consider reforms to reduce impacts…

  • Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Cranbourne West residents are invited to have their say on plans to refresh Bernborough Avenue Reserve. The proposed district playground renewal aims to make the reserve more welcoming, enjoyable and…

  • Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 470334 Residents are still seeking answers over an advanced-waste plan that’s extending the life of waste facilities near Hampton Park homes, says Casey Residents…

  • Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work (WMIW), a grassroots network supporting women in business across Casey and Cardinia, marked its 20th anniversary with the launch of a new book sharing the personal…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…