CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Teen an ‘unacceptable risk’

Teen an ‘unacceptable risk’

By LACHLAN MOORHEAD

THE Hallam teenager charged in relation to a foiled Anzac Day terror plot has been denied bail.
Sevdet Besim, 18, appeared at a bail application hearing in the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, where Federal Police prosecutors argued he posed an unacceptable risk if released.
The court heard the case against Besim focused on electronic communication between him and a 14-year-old in Britain, who was also arrested on terror charges last month.
The informant told the court the two had discussed acquiring weapons and details of an alleged plot to attack police at Anzac Day events in Melbourne, according to an ABC report.
The court was also told an image swearing allegiance to the Islamic State was found on Besim’s phone, as well as a note he had written only hours before his arrest giving instructions on what to do in the event of his death.
Besim came to the attention of authorities following the death of Numan Haider, who was shot dead after stabbing two police officers outside the Endeavour Hills police station last September, the court heard.
It’s understood Besim’s name was on a list of Haider’s associates, according to the ABC.
Besim’s lawyer argued for bail because of his client’s age, lack of criminal record, and the fact he may spend up to 18 months in remand before trial.
Besim and his co-accused, 18-year-old Harun Causevic, were among those arrested following pre-dawn raids throughout Casey on 18 April after a tip-off from British police.
They are both currently under protection at the Melbourne Remand Centre.
Just 24 hours before Anzac Day, British police charged the 14-year-old UK boy with trying to incite beheadings and attacks on Australian Anzac Day commemoration services.
Another teenager, from Narre Warren, was also charged with importing weapons allegedly for use in the foiled Anzac Day terror plot and will stay in custody until at least late July, after his hearing was adjourned.
The case against Mehran Azami, 19, was mentioned briefly on Monday 18 May but he was not required to appear in Melbourne Magistrates’ Court.
The teenager was charged with importing more than 200 weapons, including AK-47 flick knives and tasers designed to look like iPhones.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 470334 Residents are still seeking answers over an advanced-waste plan that’s extending the life of waste facilities near Hampton Park homes, says Casey Residents…

  • Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work (WMIW), a grassroots network supporting women in business across Casey and Cardinia, marked its 20th anniversary with the launch of a new book sharing the personal…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • ‘Extremely disappointed’: Cranbourne victim slams quick bail

    ‘Extremely disappointed’: Cranbourne victim slams quick bail

    A Cranbourne family who just moved into the area says they feel unsafe returning home after a burglary suspect was granted bail within a day, with police refusing to provide…

  • Pearcedale Shopping Centre parking plan sparks backlash

    Pearcedale Shopping Centre parking plan sparks backlash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534765 A proposed upgrade of the Pearcedale Village Shopping Centre has sparked strong local opposition, with residents raising concerns over the introduction of 90-degree…