CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Drug ring busted: $7.5m haul

Drug ring busted: $7.5m haul

By LACHLAN MOORHEAD

MORE than $7.5 million worth of illicit drugs were seized and two men arrested after Casey CIU last week busted an extensive drug ring with several local links.
The joint AFP, customs and Casey police investigation – known as Operation Bigcray – saw more than two tonnes of the drug 1,4-Butanediol, similar to GHB, seized across four locations in Endeavour Hills and Dandenong on Tuesday 7 and Thursday 9 April.
In addition to the $7 million drug haul, it’s believed alleged stolen property and weapons were seized by police, while assets were also frozen.
A 30-year-old man from Endeavour Hills and a 42-year-old man from Narre Warren were arrested in relation to the bust.
The Endeavour Hills man has been remanded in custody and charged with drug trafficking, possession of proceeds of crimes, possession of stolen property and weapons offences.
He is set to appear in Melbourne Magistrates’ Court in July.
The Narre Warren man was released, pending further inquiries.
The drug haul was seized after four seperate warrants were issued across two days.
It’s understood the first property raided was in Endeavour Hills, and this led police to three separate storage sheds in Dandenong.
Detective Senior Sergeant Stuart Freeman praised the Casey CIU drug team on carrying out an “excellent job”, which, he said, had taken several months of planning.
1,4-Butanediol – a colourless and odourless liquid colloquially referred to as BD – is listed as an illicit drug precursor which can be metabolised in the liver to form GHB.
GHB is an illegal drug in Australia.
Anyone with any information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000, or submit a confidential crime report at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    The City of Casey has unanimously voted to submit a notice of motion to Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV), calling on the State Government to consider reforms to reduce impacts…

  • Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Cranbourne West residents are invited to have their say on plans to refresh Bernborough Avenue Reserve. The proposed district playground renewal aims to make the reserve more welcoming, enjoyable and…

  • Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 470334 Residents are still seeking answers over an advanced-waste plan that’s extending the life of waste facilities near Hampton Park homes, says Casey Residents…

  • Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work (WMIW), a grassroots network supporting women in business across Casey and Cardinia, marked its 20th anniversary with the launch of a new book sharing the personal…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…