CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Employment gets a shake up

Employment gets a shake up

By LACHLAN MOORHEAD

FIVE organisations from the La Trobe electorate were last week awarded lucrative Federal Government contracts to help people from the region find jobs.
La Trobe MP Jason Wood last Wednesday announced these organisations had won the contracts ahead of the launch of the Government’s new ‘Jobactive’ program on 1 July.
Mr Wood said Max Employment, Matchworks, AMES, Direct Recruitment Pty Ltd, and Job Prospects had been selected through a tender process to deliver one or more employment services in La Trobe.
These services include Employment Providers, Work for the Dole Coordinators, and New Enterprise Incentive Schemes.
It’s understood the organisations were assessed on their ability to meet the needs of local job seekers, their past performance, and their management arrangements.
The tender was conducted by the Department of Employment in accordance with the Government’s procurement rules, and signed off by an external probity adviser.
“The Coalition’s new Jobactive system will provide clearer incentives to ensure employment service providers are focused on better preparing job seekers to meet the needs of local employers and helping people to find and keep a job,” he said.
“The new model includes wage subsidies for young job seekers, indigenous job seekers, the long term unemployed, the Restart subsidy for older workers as well as Relocation Assistance to help people move to take up a job.
“There is also the Job Commitment Bonus to encourage young job seekers to stay in work and off welfare.”
Mr Wood said the Work for the Dole service would be rolled out nationally to help job seekers to learn skills and stay active while looking for work.
“There will be new Work for the Dole Coordinators working with local community organisations to identify activities and places.
“The Government has also made changes to assist employment providers to deliver services on the ground.
“This includes less red tape, the introduction of five-year contracts instead of three, a mid-contract price adjustment, larger employment regions to promote economies of scale, and an additional loading to support service delivery in regional Australia”.Local job seekers in the coming months will receive advice on which organisation will assist them with looking for work after 1 July 2015.
In the meantime, job seekers are encouraged to work with their existing provider.
For more information, visit the Employment Services website at www.employment.gov.au/employment-services-2015.

Digital Editions


More News

  • A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A Casey-based Girl Guides group dedicated to empowering girls and young women has delivered a heartfelt show of support to local frontline volunteers. Narre Warren North Girl Guides recently visited…

  • Local university launches new initiative to provide free professional attire for students

    Local university launches new initiative to provide free professional attire for students

    As cost of living increasingly becomes a barrier for many tertiary students, a local Casey university is taking matters into their own hands with their new ‘Styled for Success at…

  • Food for thought ahead of bigger Ramadan Night Market

    Food for thought ahead of bigger Ramadan Night Market

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467847 Excitement grows ahead of the upcoming three-week Ramadan Night Market that promises to be bigger and better, but existing traders in Dandenong have…

  • Minister’s warm welcome to Wellsprings

    Minister’s warm welcome to Wellsprings

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532816 Wellsprings for Women welcomed the Federal Minister for Multicultural Affairs, Dr Anne Aly, who saw first hand the South East-based centre’s efforts to…

  • Colourful weekend

    Colourful weekend

    It was a colourful weekend for more than 100 community members who attended the council’s annual rainbow picnic. Held at Berwick’s Old Cheese Factory on Saturday 7 February, over 120…