CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Torture trainers

Torture trainers

By BRIDGET SCOTT and CAMERON LUCADOU-WELLS

TEN greyhound trainers implicated in a live baiting scandal at Tooradin have had their dogs scratched indefinitely.
The scandal exploded on Monday night when the ABC’s Four Corners program aired damning footage of piglets, possums and rabbits being strapped to lures and ripped apart while they are used as live-bait to blood greyhounds.
The trainers themselves have also been suspended pending the outcome of investigations by Greyhound Racing Victoria and the RSPCA.
The Tooradin Trial Track, which was raided by RSPCA officers, supported by police, on Wednesday last week, has had its registration suspended.
And Racing Minister Martin Pakula told the News that the whole greyhound racing industry may be in jeopardy.
Live baiting is a criminal offence punishable by a jail term of up to two years and a fine of more than $30,000 under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986.
Those implicated by Four Corners in the scandal include Tooradin Trail Track owner Stuart Mills, well-known Devon Meadows trainer Darren McDonald, fellow Devon Meadows trainer and former GRV official Paul Anderton and Cranbourne Greyhound Racing Club president Neville King, who stood down from his position on Saturday night.
Senior vice-president Greg Carter is the acting president.
The industry’s awards night, which was scheduled for Friday night, was postponed with Mr McDonald, who is a former trainer of the year, expected to feature prominently.
As fallout from the allegations ricocheted through the industry on Tuesday, the GRV confirmed that under the advice of the Racing Integrity Commissioner it had suspended “any greyhound trained and/or owned by the 10 persons suspended by the board… in relation to live baiting”.
The GRV move closes off a loophole which would allow dogs associated with the 10 suspended trainers to be raced under the name of another owner.
The GRV said all suspensions are due to remain in place until live baiting investigations are completed.
Cranbourne’s Wednesday night race meet went ahead, although three dogs trained by Paul Anderton were scratched.
The GRV declined to officially name all 10 suspended trainers for legal reasons.
Cranbourne Greyhound Club chief executive officer Tony Mitchell declined to comment to the News and directed all questions to the GRV.
However the club issued a statement on its website: “Our club does not condone or support actions of individuals involved in any form of animal cruelty, as highlighted in the Four Corners program and that’s our firm stance.“
GRV chairman Peter Caillard expressed disgust at the graphic footage of the live baiting.
“I watched and was sickened.
“The use of live bait in the training of greyhounds is abhorrent and has no place in our sport.
“Any person engaged in live baiting can expect to be disqualified and prosecuted.
“We have zero tolerance for these individuals,” Mr Caillard said.
“To the best of our knowledge, this disgusting and illegal behaviour is isolated in Victoria to the privately owned training facility at Tooradin.“
RSPCA chief executive officer Liz Walker said her organisation was told about the live baiting allegations on 28 January.
Ms Walker called for more transparency in the greyhound industry and for a strong, independent regulator to oversee the sport.
On Tuesday, Mr Pakula said: “Today is not the day for me to be expressing full confidence in GRV.”
“I’ve been pleased with the way they’ve responded since they have been made aware of the allegations on Friday.
“I think it’s fair to say – and they acknowledge – there’s questions to be answered as to why it wasn’t picked up sooner.”
He said the future of the industry – which comprises about 3000 full-time equivalent jobs and was worth at least $100 million – was being put in “great jeopardy”.
He also said the government and GRV would pitch in $3 million each to boost investigatory resources against live-baiting.
The Warragul Greyhound Centre was the first track to host a race meeting following the revelations. The club lost a major sponsor on Tuesday morning as some of those associated with the sport moved to distance their brands from the sport.
The News attempted to contact all the trainers implicated in the scandal.
Stuart Mills said “no charges have been laid yet“ and that he did not wish to comment further.
Tony Mitchell said Mr King would not comment to the media.
Darren McDonald did not return calls from the News.
The News also called but was unable to reach Paul Anderton.
Racing Integrity Commissioner Sal Perna said those responsible for live baiting could face a 10-year ban from the sport.
For more on the live-baiting fall-out, turn to page 3 of this week’s Cranbourne News.

Digital Editions


  • New Library Lounge opens in Clyde

    New Library Lounge opens in Clyde

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534227 The Clyde Township Community Centre is now home to a new Library Lounge, providing residents in Clyde and…

More News

  • Local university launches new initiative to provide free professional attire for students

    Local university launches new initiative to provide free professional attire for students

    As cost of living increasingly becomes a barrier for many tertiary students, a local Casey university is taking matters into their own hands with their new ‘Styled for Success at…

  • Food for thought ahead of bigger Ramadan Night Market

    Food for thought ahead of bigger Ramadan Night Market

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467847 Excitement grows ahead of the upcoming three-week Ramadan Night Market that promises to be bigger and better, but existing traders in Dandenong have…

  • Minister’s warm welcome to Wellsprings

    Minister’s warm welcome to Wellsprings

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532816 Wellsprings for Women welcomed the Federal Minister for Multicultural Affairs, Dr Anne Aly, who saw first hand the South East-based centre’s efforts to…

  • Colourful weekend

    Colourful weekend

    It was a colourful weekend for more than 100 community members who attended the council’s annual rainbow picnic. Held at Berwick’s Old Cheese Factory on Saturday 7 February, over 120…

  • EPA, Veolia at odds over toxic-waste cell

    EPA, Veolia at odds over toxic-waste cell

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 228738 The state’s pollution watchdog says it remains opposed to a new toxic-waste cell at a controversial hazardous-waste landfill at Taylors Road, Lyndhurst. In…