CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » False bomb alert

False bomb alert

By CAM LUCADOU-WELLS

A MAN kicked in a back door of a Doveton house to falsely tell a mother in bed with her daughter that there was a bomb under the house.
The 43 year-old Pearcedale father of four, who had no prior convictions, pleaded guilty to wilful damage and unlawful entry on a property in Dandenong Magistrates’ Court on Monday.
After allegedly entering the house about 8.16am on 6 February, the man tapped the mother on the head.
He allegedly told her he was a previous tenant and there was a bomb under the house.
Police prosecutor Leading Senior Constable Amber-Lea Brown told the court the pair then talked in the backyard away from the children.
She said the victim was not threatened by the accused, who fled the premises and was later taken by police to Dandenong Hospital for a mental health assessment.
Police were not opposed to a good-behaviour bond against the accused – given his issues, she said.
The man told magistrate Jack Vandersteen he was “severely dehydrated” at the time of the incident.
He said he had been roaming Doveton streets “homeless” for several hot days in the lead-up and that his marriage and business had recently ended.
He told the court that he was receiving psychiatric treatment since the incident.
Mr Vandersteen said the man was “acutely unwell” at the time.
“It would have been very scary for the victim and her children to be confronted in (her) home.”
He ordered the man to undergo a 12-month good behaviour bond, on the condition the man continued his psychiatric counselling regime, and to pay for the $1266 damage to the victim’s back door.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    The City of Casey has unanimously voted to submit a notice of motion to Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV), calling on the State Government to consider reforms to reduce impacts…

  • Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Cranbourne West residents are invited to have their say on plans to refresh Bernborough Avenue Reserve. The proposed district playground renewal aims to make the reserve more welcoming, enjoyable and…

  • Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 470334 Residents are still seeking answers over an advanced-waste plan that’s extending the life of waste facilities near Hampton Park homes, says Casey Residents…

  • Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work (WMIW), a grassroots network supporting women in business across Casey and Cardinia, marked its 20th anniversary with the launch of a new book sharing the personal…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…