CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Opposition launches website for road complaints

Opposition launches website for road complaints

By LACHLAN MOORHEAD

CASEY residents now have the opportunity to point out dangerous roads in the municipality that need fixing following the launch of a new website.
FixOurRoads.com.au, launched by the state Opposition on Monday, allows Casey motorists to nominate roads in the area that require maintenance.
The launch comes after the Opposition released statistics which it says shows funding in Casey’s VicRoads Metropolitan South Eastern Region fell by $17 million in 2012-13 compared to the previous financial year.
The statistics, obtained by the Opposition under Freedom of Information laws, indicate that all seven VicRoads regions have received less funding in 2012-13 than in 2011-12.
A spokeswoman for VicRoads said it was difficult for her to comment on the Opposition’s figures because she did not know how they had been compiled.
However, she said the government had provided $630 million for capital spending on a number of vital new road projects, including in Casey.
“Projects which will benefit the area include the $55 million upgrade of Clyde Road, while a further $5.4 million will be spent on road safety improvements over a 14km stretch of the South Gippsland Highway, from Lang Lang to Loch,” the spokesperson said.
The spokesperson also said VicRoads will spend $466 million on road maintenance in 2013-14, including its Repair and Restore road maintenance program.
“This targeted road restoration program will ensure the life of these roads is extended for decades to come,” the spokesperson said.
“It also ensures that VicRoads is able to make better decisions about the timing and type of maintenance to be carried out and will also help us achieve better value for money from our maintenance contracts.”
Minister for Roads Terry Mulder said contracts had recently been awarded to surface roads in Melbourne’s south-east, including the Monash Freeway, and will be started this month.
Narre Warren North MP Luke Donnellan said the Opposition’s Fix Our Roads campaign will be a valuable asset to Casey motorists.
“Safety on roads in Melbourne’s south-east is not just about driver behaviour but also the quality of our roads which must be safe to drive on.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A Casey-based Girl Guides group dedicated to empowering girls and young women has delivered a heartfelt show of support to local frontline volunteers. Narre Warren North Girl Guides recently visited…

  • Local university launches new initiative to provide free professional attire for students

    Local university launches new initiative to provide free professional attire for students

    As cost of living increasingly becomes a barrier for many tertiary students, a local Casey university is taking matters into their own hands with their new ‘Styled for Success at…

  • Food for thought ahead of bigger Ramadan Night Market

    Food for thought ahead of bigger Ramadan Night Market

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467847 Excitement grows ahead of the upcoming three-week Ramadan Night Market that promises to be bigger and better, but existing traders in Dandenong have…

  • Minister’s warm welcome to Wellsprings

    Minister’s warm welcome to Wellsprings

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532816 Wellsprings for Women welcomed the Federal Minister for Multicultural Affairs, Dr Anne Aly, who saw first hand the South East-based centre’s efforts to…

  • Colourful weekend

    Colourful weekend

    It was a colourful weekend for more than 100 community members who attended the council’s annual rainbow picnic. Held at Berwick’s Old Cheese Factory on Saturday 7 February, over 120…