CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Wot a beat-up

Wot a beat-up

By LACHLAN MOORHEAD

A CRANBOURNE North fish and chip shop caught in the middle of a media feeding frenzy last week won’t be forced to wipe souvlakis off its menu.
Controversy and Facebook vitriol hit fever pitch last week after reports that Wot A Kebab and George’s Fish and Chips in The Avenue shopping centre were at war over whether the latter should be able to sell souvlakis.
Talk of the souvlaki spat fired up after rumours that centre management had approached Alex and Ali Sleiman, from George’s Fish and Chips, and requested they no longer sell souvlakis since there was a kebab store next door.
But following a meeting with the shop owners on Friday, centre management denied ever asking either store to take items off their respective menus.
Leasing agent Gross Waddell Pty Ltd representative, Samantha Murphy, who attended the Friday meeting, said centre management had reassured the store owners they wouldn’t have to change their current menus.
“They had reached an agreement before I got there (to the meeting). They’d agreed amicably to sell their existing menus with no changes to them,” she said.
“We (centre management) never requested that any changes be made to the menus. We spoke to them about their approved menus and asked for a copy of them.”
The development comes after Ryan and Shane Barrington, owners of Wot a Kebab, said last week they had been portrayed as “bullies” and that there was no dispute between them and the Sleiman brothers from George’s Fish and Chips.
Centre management approved the Sleiman brothers’ menu before they opened their store three weeks ago, of which souvlakis were a major component.The brothers concur there is no feud between the shops.
“We don’t have a problem with each other,” Alex Sleiman said.
“We eat from the boys (Wot a Kebab) and the boys eat from us. We’re neighbours.”
Ryan, who also had the Wot a Kebab menu approved when it opened three months ago, said centre management had never tried to dictate the stores.
“There was a miscommunication when Alex opened,” he said.
“The whole thing was blown out of proportion.”
Ryan also said the media coverage of the supposed spat had cost Wot a Kebab business but it was now improving.
“We took a hit during last week but over the weekend it came back to sort of normal,” he said.
Ms Murphy said there were no reports of any declining trade in the shopping centre.

Digital Editions


More News

  • A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A Casey-based Girl Guides group dedicated to empowering girls and young women has delivered a heartfelt show of support to local frontline volunteers. Narre Warren North Girl Guides recently visited…

  • Local university launches new initiative to provide free professional attire for students

    Local university launches new initiative to provide free professional attire for students

    As cost of living increasingly becomes a barrier for many tertiary students, a local Casey university is taking matters into their own hands with their new ‘Styled for Success at…

  • Food for thought ahead of bigger Ramadan Night Market

    Food for thought ahead of bigger Ramadan Night Market

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467847 Excitement grows ahead of the upcoming three-week Ramadan Night Market that promises to be bigger and better, but existing traders in Dandenong have…

  • Minister’s warm welcome to Wellsprings

    Minister’s warm welcome to Wellsprings

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532816 Wellsprings for Women welcomed the Federal Minister for Multicultural Affairs, Dr Anne Aly, who saw first hand the South East-based centre’s efforts to…

  • Colourful weekend

    Colourful weekend

    It was a colourful weekend for more than 100 community members who attended the council’s annual rainbow picnic. Held at Berwick’s Old Cheese Factory on Saturday 7 February, over 120…