CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » No mosque poll

No mosque poll

CASEY councillors have rejected a move to poll residents regarding a controversial planning application for a mosque which was passed last week.
Cr Rosalie Crestani urged the council at a meeting on Tuesday night to ask Doveton residents their opinions about council’s decision to grant a permit made by Achivision for the use and development of a mosque at 27, 29 and 31 Green Street, Doveton despite strong opposition.
The council received four objecting petitions which included over 2000 signatures.
Pastor Daniel Nalliah and members from Catch the Fires ministries voiced strong opposition to the mosque, as they plan to build a new church on neighbouring land.
The move to approve the mosque was made by Cr Wayne Smith following the recommendations of council officers.
He said many of the objectors were non-residents and about 1900 signatures on one petition did not leave their address, raising questions as to its validity.
Cr Crestani said it was important to seek the ”voice of the people” and changed her motion from polling all of Casey residents to only Doveton residents to reduce the cost from about $327,000 to $12,000, estimated by the Victorian Electorial Commission.
Cr Wayne Smith slammed the move, saying it was “ludicrous” to pay ratepayers’ money to get an opinion from the public on a decision which was already made.
“It’s now out of our hands and (a poll) is not going to make a difference,” he said.
Cr Stapledon questioned what Cr Crestani hoped to achieve through the poll.
“We could be more knowledgeable and we could set a precedent to do it before future controversial decisions,” Cr Crestani said.
Cr Smith said it could set a “dangerous precedent” as any councillor could request a poll be taken after they were not happy with a council decision.
“It’s mischief-making,” he said.
Cr Sam Aziz supported the motion, while Crs Smith, Stapledon, Mick Morland, Susan Serey, Geoff Ablett, and Louise Berkelmans voted against it. Cr Damien Rosairio and Cr Gary Rowe were not at the meeting.
Cr Crestani then moved that council seek a report on the viability of conducting a poll, which Cr Aziz supported and the other councillors present voted against.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    The City of Casey has unanimously voted to submit a notice of motion to Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV), calling on the State Government to consider reforms to reduce impacts…

  • Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Cranbourne West residents are invited to have their say on plans to refresh Bernborough Avenue Reserve. The proposed district playground renewal aims to make the reserve more welcoming, enjoyable and…

  • Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 470334 Residents are still seeking answers over an advanced-waste plan that’s extending the life of waste facilities near Hampton Park homes, says Casey Residents…

  • Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work (WMIW), a grassroots network supporting women in business across Casey and Cardinia, marked its 20th anniversary with the launch of a new book sharing the personal…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…