CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Labor’s man steps forward

Labor’s man steps forward

MARTIN Pakula is the Labor Party’s candidate for the Lyndhurst by-election.
Opposition Leader Daniel Andrews made the announcement alongside the former Public Transport, Industry and Trade and Industrial Relations Minister at Springvale Rise Primary School on Wednesday.
The 44-year-old currently represents the Western Metropolitan Region in the Legislative Council and is the opposition’s spokesman for gaming, racing, scrutiny of government and the attorney-general portfolio.
Former Labor MP Tim Holding left the Lyndhurst vacant when he resigned on 18 February and voters will select a new representative on 27 April.
Last week the Star revealed that Noble Park community worker Nina Springle would be the Greens’ candidate.
The Liberal Party has indicated it’s unlikely to field a candidate.
“The Liberals have abandoned this contest,” Ms Springle said.
“Labor believe they have this seat in the bag.
“I’m offering people something different.”
City of Greater Dandenong councillor and Springvale Rise school council president Sean O’Reilly said the by-election should be about shining some light on the unfair ways the State Government had treated residents.
“Some schools in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne have been provided with full sports stadiums and gymnasiums, while our local schools, such as Springvale Rise Primary School, can’t even get a basketball court,” he said.
“Although Lyndhurst is a safe seat, this by-election is a unique opportunity for us to highlight some of the unfair ways that we have been treated.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    The City of Casey has unanimously voted to submit a notice of motion to Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV), calling on the State Government to consider reforms to reduce impacts…

  • Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Cranbourne West residents are invited to have their say on plans to refresh Bernborough Avenue Reserve. The proposed district playground renewal aims to make the reserve more welcoming, enjoyable and…

  • Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 470334 Residents are still seeking answers over an advanced-waste plan that’s extending the life of waste facilities near Hampton Park homes, says Casey Residents…

  • Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work (WMIW), a grassroots network supporting women in business across Casey and Cardinia, marked its 20th anniversary with the launch of a new book sharing the personal…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…