CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Done deal saves jobs

Done deal saves jobs

By CASEY NEILL
A BAILOUT deal from Holden and Ford has saved about 140 jobs at Dandenong South’s DAIR Industries.
Workers returned to the factory yesterday (Wednesday) following a week of uncertainty.
On 1 November parent company Autodom announced it would close its facilities for “an indefinite period” as it continued to seek financial support from its customers – including Ford and Holden – to restructure.
Autodom Limited CEO Calvin Stead said a drop in local car production had hurt the company and several months of failed negotiations had forced it to act.
On 4 November voluntary administrators Macks Advisory took control of Autodom, examined its financial position and started talks with automotive industry and union representatives.
On 6 November receivers McGrathNicol moved in will now try to sell the business, perhaps in smaller parts.
DAIR Industries makes rear bumper assemblies, foot brakes, clutch mechanisms, hood hinges and parking brakes.
Holden and Ford faced shutdowns if the factory was not back in production by Wednesday morning, so they agreed to take on Autodom’s estimated $6.5 million debt.
Manufacturing Minister Richard Dalla-Riva said this shutdown came less than three months after “reckless and disruptive industrial action” brought production at DAIR Dandenong South to a halt.
He said the situation was a reminder to trade unions and the Federal Government that all industrial action had consequences.
“During that dispute, the company was pressured by the unions and the Federal Minister for Workplace Relations Bill Shorten, to negotiate a more generous agreement with the striking workers,” Mr Dalla-Riva said.
“Today (1 November) a company facing ongoing financial difficulties has closed its manufacturing operations, and stood down its workforce.
“Again, there is a potential risk of severe disruption to the wider automotive industry.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Minister’s warm welcome to Wellsprings

    Minister’s warm welcome to Wellsprings

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532816 Wellsprings for Women welcomed the Federal Minister for Multicultural Affairs, Dr Anne Aly, who saw first hand the South East-based centre’s efforts to…

  • Colourful weekend

    Colourful weekend

    It was a colourful weekend for more than 100 community members who attended the council’s annual rainbow picnic. Held at Berwick’s Old Cheese Factory on Saturday 7 February, over 120…

  • EPA, Veolia at odds over toxic-waste cell

    EPA, Veolia at odds over toxic-waste cell

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 228738 The state’s pollution watchdog says it remains opposed to a new toxic-waste cell at a controversial hazardous-waste landfill at Taylors Road, Lyndhurst. In…

  • Men’s Shed awards wombat warrior for special collaboration

    Men’s Shed awards wombat warrior for special collaboration

    Akoonah Park Men’s Shed gave a unique honour last week to a woman who has dedicated many years to wildlife conservation, collaborating with the men’s group to create an innovative…

  • Upper Beaconsfield festival returns

    Upper Beaconsfield festival returns

    Upper Beaconsfield Tower Run: Climbing New Heights Upper Beaconsfield will come alive on Sunday the 15th of February when the community hosts the annual Upper Beaconsfield Tower Run and Village…