CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Cougars take a licking

Cougars take a licking

Wayne Porter has returned to his former role as Berwick Cougars head coach and expects Berwick to finish above .500 once again. 71546 Picture: Gavin StaindlWayne Porter has returned to his former role as Berwick Cougars head coach and expects Berwick to finish above .500 once again. 71546 Picture: Gavin Staindl

By Gavin Staindl
BERWICK City Cougars will look forward to closing out the memory of opening day after it was thrashed 12-2 by St Kilda on Sunday.
It was a new look squad that took the field at Cyril Molyneux Reserve but a similar result for the Cougars who – for the second year in a row – were beaten by St Kilda at home on opening day.
Within half an hour, Berwick found itself in strife as tiring pitcher Matt Chilcott allowed a three-run homer to give St Kilda a seven-run lead after three innings.
While relievers Mark Surtees and Moorabbin recruit Nick Veale ably pitched out the remainder of the match, the damage had been done.
Wayne Porter, who has returned as head coach after he left the position at the end of the 2009/10 season, said he didn’t expect any more blowouts like Sunday. “I wouldn’t think there would be any more,” Porter said.
“Our import arrives this week and that will make a massive difference.”
Arriving from American college Azusa Pacific, Josh Leite will be relied upon to replace Matt Rossman as Berwick’s number one pitcher.
But the question remains, with seven of last year’s starting nine departing the club, will Berwick be able to return numbers similar to last year’s break-out season?
“We will win more than we lose,” Porter said.
“I’m confident of that if we play well we’ll be around the same mark.”
Yankee-bound talent Adam Silva heads the list of departures that also includes last year’s coach Mick Poole, Sam Beasely and Danny Kendall.
“I still think we have the ability in our line-up to play well,” Porter said. “When I left, the players were really young, but now they’re a bit older we’re out to win every week.
“There won’t be any more free rides any more, people will have to work for their spots.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    The City of Casey has unanimously voted to submit a notice of motion to Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV), calling on the State Government to consider reforms to reduce impacts…

  • Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Cranbourne West residents are invited to have their say on plans to refresh Bernborough Avenue Reserve. The proposed district playground renewal aims to make the reserve more welcoming, enjoyable and…

  • Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 470334 Residents are still seeking answers over an advanced-waste plan that’s extending the life of waste facilities near Hampton Park homes, says Casey Residents…

  • Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work (WMIW), a grassroots network supporting women in business across Casey and Cardinia, marked its 20th anniversary with the launch of a new book sharing the personal…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…