CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » RSL relief at merger

RSL relief at merger

The merger of the Dandenong and Cranbourne RSL sub-branches is an exciting time for all at the RSL. President Don Shields and vice-president Barry Jones shake hands to confirm the deal. 29001 The merger of the Dandenong and Cranbourne RSL sub-branches is an exciting time for all at the RSL. President Don Shields and vice-president Barry Jones shake hands to confirm the deal. 29001

By Bridget Brady and
CRANBOURNE’S struggling RSL has been bailed out of a $1.3 million debt, following a decision to merge with the Dandenong RSL sub-branch.
The amalgamation of the two clubs will allow it to become one of the biggest sub-branches in Victoria, with at least 6000 members.
The super club will be known as the Dandenong Cranbourne RSL sub-branch, but each will keep their separate identities at their own premises.
Treasurer of the Dandenong Cranbourne RSL John Filmer said nothing would change in the operational management of the two clubs, but there would be renovations at the Cranbourne site. Members of each club will now be members of the amalgamated branch and can use either site’s facilities.
“It (the building) will still be known as the Cranbourne RSL and staff will retain their jobs,” Mr Filmer said.
“The two together make us even stronger.”
Anzac House approached the Dandenong RSL to lend a helping hand given Cranbourne’s financial woes.
The merger ensures the $1.3 million debt at Cranbourne would be wiped, after it had been “operating under a cloud for quite a while”.
“We look at this as upholding the tradition of the RSL,” Mr Filmer said.
“It’s a challenge to bring it up to a better operated level and we know that it will work with all of the Cranbourne people.”
Former president of Cranbourne RSL and now vice-president of the merged clubs, Barry Jones, said 99 per cent of members voted in favour of the amalgamation. There was similar consensus at Dandenong, with 82 per cent agreeing to the merge.
The decision to merge was dependent on a 70 per cent yes vote from members present at each of the clubs’ votes on Sunday.
“This is a very pleasing announcement. The debt is wiped out,” Mr Jones said.
“We would have survived without it (the merger). We were just not making any progress.”
Both Mr Jones and Mr Filmer highlighted the substantial increase in welfare activities that the new RSL would allow for given the ability to share expertise and contacts.
RSL State President David McLachlan said this was not the first time Anzac House had suggested a merger between two RSL clubs.
“We’re the trustees of the sub-branches and as that we’re always looking to make sure that they are well positioned to go forward,” he said.
“We were conscious of a need for some support to Cranbourne so we approached Dandenong to see if they would be interested in helping and they were, very fortunately.”
Mr McLachlan said the Victorian Government 2012 Licensing Arrangement for Gaming played an important role in their decision to suggest the merger.
“It will put a lot of clubs and sub-branches under pressure and we want to make sure that we’re ahead of the game so as to not get disadvantaged.”
With news of the merger, the redevelopment of the lawn bowls and tennis site in Edith Street beside the Dandenong RSL was set in concrete, Mr Filmer said.
The site will make way for the development of 92 units for low-cost social housing, catering specifically for the elderly.
The land was sold at below market value on the basis that developers would take on about 30 elderly RSL residents currently living in substandard conditions at the Thuruna site.
The RSL is currently looking for a new site for its bowls and social club facilities.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    The City of Casey has unanimously voted to submit a notice of motion to Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV), calling on the State Government to consider reforms to reduce impacts…

  • Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Cranbourne West residents are invited to have their say on plans to refresh Bernborough Avenue Reserve. The proposed district playground renewal aims to make the reserve more welcoming, enjoyable and…

  • Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 470334 Residents are still seeking answers over an advanced-waste plan that’s extending the life of waste facilities near Hampton Park homes, says Casey Residents…

  • Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work (WMIW), a grassroots network supporting women in business across Casey and Cardinia, marked its 20th anniversary with the launch of a new book sharing the personal…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…