CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » New start for youth

New start for youth

SIX Casey youths have graduated from an eight-week intensive personal development program designed to keep them engaged in education.
Deputy Commissioner Simon Overland presented Operation Newstart certificates to them last week.
The students from the Casey area have taken part in the program since it began in 2004.
Operation Newstart South Eastern, a joint initiative between Victoria Police, the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development and Connections, gives young people a unique opportunity to develop new skills, attitudes and self-belief in a supported environment.
It is targeted at students aged 14-16 years of age who are disengaged from their learning, failing to attend school on a regular basis, lacking confidence or who are at risk of coming to the attention of police.
Over eight weeks, the participants took part in the program from Tuesday to Friday, and spent Monday at their local secondary schools.
The local schools communicate closely with the facilitators to monitor and support the stud-ents when they return to their schools.
Victoria Police facilitator Leading Senior Constable Sharon Sorensen said the youths (five boys, two girls) involved in Operation Newstart South Eastern had to adhere to a strict set of guidelines.
The youths took part in a range of activities including outdoor adventure activities, first aid, fitness testing, camps and community volunteer work.
They also attended a TAFE Taster Course at Chisholm Institute and student and parent workshops were also an integral part of the program.
“The program provides an important journey for the students where they participate in engaging activities that provide opportunities for the young people to be challenged,” Ldg Sen Const Sorensen said.
“When the students overcome the challenges and experience success, it helps to motivate them to face up to the other issues they face in their life includ-ing their education.”
Facilitators track students’ progress for a period of two years on completion of the program.
There are seven Operation Newstart programs across Victoria.
Operation Newstart Dandenong also held a graduation ceremony on Friday, where seven youths were presented certificates for completing the program.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Feedback sought on proposed names

    Feedback sought on proposed names

    City of Casey is seeking feedback on proposed names for a new Clyde North community centre and a Berwick park. The community centre is currently being built in Sovereign Avenue,…

  • Bulls dominate Pakenham

    Bulls dominate Pakenham

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533225 Cardinia rebounded in a big way and pushed Pakenham’s season to the brink on day one of round 13 in the Casey Cardinia…

  • Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 403433 February is piling up with credit card debt, back-to-school bills and higher interest rates – so the time is more than ripe for…

  • $250m Cranbourne South Hindu temple referral pulled for redesign

    $250m Cranbourne South Hindu temple referral pulled for redesign

    Plans for a proposed $250 million Hindu temple precinct in Cranbourne South’s green wedge have been put on hold after the applicant withdrew its Federal environmental referral, citing a redesign…

  • Clyde North safety breaches lead to $700k fine

    Clyde North safety breaches lead to $700k fine

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 166670 Construction works in Clyde North have been in the spotlight after roofing company Proform Roofing (Vic) Pty Ltd was fined $700,000 over multiple…