CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Banks blacklist homes

Banks blacklist homes

WEARY methane gas affected property owners face another blow as a News investigation reveals that banks have mortgage blacklisted properties within two kilometres of the estate.
The dilemma comes one week after the CFA announced it was safe for residents to return to their homes after the emergency status at the Cranbourne estate was downgraded.
Bank insiders have confirmed widespread rumours among local real estate agents that banks are not approving finance for houses within a two kilometre radius of the estate.
The News has been told that two major banks in Cranbourne were not approving finance because they were worried about the risk to properties in and around the estate.
The decision leaves homeowners unable to sell their properties as would-be buyers are unable to get a mortgage on the affected homes.
If they are unable to sell their properties, homeowners are also left paying mortgages on properties that are of little resale value.
The latest blow comes on an already depressed housing market.
The Cranbourne Chamber of Commerce will meet City of Casey council representatives today (Thursday) to discuss the problem.
LJ Hooker Cranbourne real estate agent Paul May said all but one of the estate’s houses which were for sale have been withdrawn and that there had been no interest in the one that was still for sale.
“I would think that the methane has been negatively affecting all agents, home owners, and tenants.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    The City of Casey has unanimously voted to submit a notice of motion to Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV), calling on the State Government to consider reforms to reduce impacts…

  • Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Cranbourne West residents are invited to have their say on plans to refresh Bernborough Avenue Reserve. The proposed district playground renewal aims to make the reserve more welcoming, enjoyable and…

  • Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 470334 Residents are still seeking answers over an advanced-waste plan that’s extending the life of waste facilities near Hampton Park homes, says Casey Residents…

  • Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work (WMIW), a grassroots network supporting women in business across Casey and Cardinia, marked its 20th anniversary with the launch of a new book sharing the personal…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…