CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Dog foils break-in

Dog foils break-in

Hampton Park Senior Citizens Club president Peter Hall shows one of the windows that was broken in the incident and repaired soon after.Hampton Park Senior Citizens Club president Peter Hall shows one of the windows that was broken in the incident and repaired soon after.

Picture: Stewart Chambers.By Sarah Schwager
HAMPTON Park Senior Citizens Club members were reeling after a dramatic break-in at the club on the weekend.
Doors and windows were smashed, a fire extinguisher was set off and hi-fi equipment was stolen, but recovered soon after in the early hours on Saturday morning.
Club president Peter Hall said it could have been worse had it not been for the quick actions of a neighbour.
Ms Hall said a dog in the neighbouring property had been barking and so the lady owner climbed up on the fence to see what was happening.
He said the woman saw two men breaking into the adjoining bowling club and immediately contacted the police.
Cranbourne Police said one man was caught inside the club, while the other was caught in the creek just behind the property.
Mr Hall said a rubbish bin had been used to move the equipment, including a DVD player, VCR and television, which was found just outside the club.
He said it was the third break-in during his time at the club over the last five years.
Mr Hall said while nothing had been stolen, as they did not keep money on the premises, things had been broken.
“It’s the inconvenience of fixing things up,” he said. “We won’t get any reimbursement.”
Mr Hall and two other club members were called to the club at 2am on Saturday and immediately cleaned up and made the property secure.
He said people at the club were shaken after first hearing about the incident.
He said they were deeply indebted to the neighbour and police for acting so quickly.
“We gave the lady a card and flowers and we gave the dog a card and a packet of Schmackos,” Mr Hall said.
“We didn’t know how to thank the dog so we wrote ‘woof woof’ in the card.”
A 26-year-old man from Turnbull Court in Carrum Downs was charged with burglary, theft and criminal damage and bailed to appear before the Dandenong Magistrates’ Court on 29 May.
A 22-year-old man of the same address was charged with burglary, theft, criminal damage and driving offences and bailed to appear on the same day.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    The City of Casey has unanimously voted to submit a notice of motion to Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV), calling on the State Government to consider reforms to reduce impacts…

  • Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Cranbourne West residents are invited to have their say on plans to refresh Bernborough Avenue Reserve. The proposed district playground renewal aims to make the reserve more welcoming, enjoyable and…

  • Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 470334 Residents are still seeking answers over an advanced-waste plan that’s extending the life of waste facilities near Hampton Park homes, says Casey Residents…

  • Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work (WMIW), a grassroots network supporting women in business across Casey and Cardinia, marked its 20th anniversary with the launch of a new book sharing the personal…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…