CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » City snaps at danger dogs

City snaps at danger dogs

Blind Bight resident Dot Allen is always careful to walk her two dogs Sheshe and Barney on leads when out in public.Blind Bight resident Dot Allen is always careful to walk her two dogs Sheshe and Barney on leads when out in public.

Alison Noonan
CASEY council has beefed up its dog laws to tackle the number of vicious attacks on pedestrians.
The move comes as one dog owner is prosecuted and fined after her dog escaped and mauled a pedestrian and their dog.
Councillors at Tuesday night’s council meeting passed a motion to allow the council to declare a dog dangerous if it has caused serious injury to a person or animal.
Now the council is warning residents to keep their dogs on a lead when out in public or face prosecution.
The council’s manager of community safety Brendan Fitzsimmons said council officers could previously only declare a dog dangerous by taking the owner to court.
He said the move would empower council officers to declare dogs, such as Pearcedale resident Karen Black’s American bulldog who escaped from its property and mauled a pedestrian and her dog, dangerous.
He said the new Act gave owners the option of keeping their animals instead of being forced to have them put down.
“Karen Black appeared in court to answer six charges in relation to this incident. She was convicted with fines and costs totalling $4,240.80.
“This dog is clearly a dangerous dog and council has given Ms Black the opportunity to declare her animal and she has refused,” he said.
Mr Fitzsimmons said it was necessary to declare a dog dangerous in the interests of community safety.
He said the owner of a declared dog was obliged to comply with council regulations relating to the restraint of the dog, both on and off the owners property.
“The dog must be securely confined on the property, either in the house or in a cage or specially made enclosure.
“It must wear a distinctive collar and muzzle and be on a lead when off the owner’s property.
“It must also be microchipped, registered with council as a dangerous dog and there must be a sign at the front of the property stating a dangerous dog is inside,” he said.
Mr Fitzsimmons said there would be very strong penalties for owners who failed to comply.
“Unfortunately we deal with at least one dog attack a month, most where the dog has escaped from the owner’s property.
“It is absolutely imperative that people make sure their dog is effectively confined to the property.
“They have a responsibility both morally and legally to make sure their animal is confined.
“People should be able to feel safe and should not have to put up with aggressive behaviour from dogs on the street,” he said.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    The City of Casey has unanimously voted to submit a notice of motion to Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV), calling on the State Government to consider reforms to reduce impacts…

  • Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Cranbourne West residents are invited to have their say on plans to refresh Bernborough Avenue Reserve. The proposed district playground renewal aims to make the reserve more welcoming, enjoyable and…

  • Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 470334 Residents are still seeking answers over an advanced-waste plan that’s extending the life of waste facilities near Hampton Park homes, says Casey Residents…

  • Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work (WMIW), a grassroots network supporting women in business across Casey and Cardinia, marked its 20th anniversary with the launch of a new book sharing the personal…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…