CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Cake attack raises safety concerns

Cake attack raises safety concerns

CASEY councillors have raised concerns about their safety after a councillor was confronted in the council chambers’ carpark last week.
Council sources said two women threw a cake at councillor Kevin Bradford last Tuesday 13 November at about 6.30pm as he left the council building.
Sources said the women then jumped on Cr Bradford’s car as he tried to drive away.
But Cr Bradford said the incident had not been serious.
“It was just a prank and that’s all it was. It’s over now,” he said.
At Tuesday’s council meeting, Cr Lorraine Wreford brought up the issue in a notice of motion to investigate councillors’ safety as they were leaving the building after meetings.
“This incident has made us all think about our safety as we leave the building.
“We are in a public position and this sometimes attracts public retribution,” Cr Wreford said.
“Sometimes I have felt uncomfortable going out to my car in the dark. And I am not the only councillor that feels like this.
“The others have also expressed concerns about leaving the building late at night.”
The motion was carried, however Cr Bradford said the incident had been blown out of proportion.
“This is just Cr Wreford playing political games.
“I don’t feel unsafe leaving the council chambers. I never have and I never will,” he said.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    The City of Casey has unanimously voted to submit a notice of motion to Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV), calling on the State Government to consider reforms to reduce impacts…

  • Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Cranbourne West residents are invited to have their say on plans to refresh Bernborough Avenue Reserve. The proposed district playground renewal aims to make the reserve more welcoming, enjoyable and…

  • Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 470334 Residents are still seeking answers over an advanced-waste plan that’s extending the life of waste facilities near Hampton Park homes, says Casey Residents…

  • Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work (WMIW), a grassroots network supporting women in business across Casey and Cardinia, marked its 20th anniversary with the launch of a new book sharing the personal…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…