CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Man’s arm severed in crash

Man’s arm severed in crash

By Callan Date
A CAR passenger had his arm severed below the shoulder in a horrific crash in Cranbourne West on Saturday night.
Police said a 2001 green Holden Clubsport was travelling along Duff Street at about 10.50pm when the car failed to negotiate a bend and slammed into a power pole.
The extreme force of the crash sheared off all the panels down one side of the vehicle and resulted in the front passenger, a 30-year-old man, losing his left arm below the shoulder.
He suffered other serious injuries in the crash and was airlifted to The Alfred hospital.
The driver of the vehicle, an unlicensed 33-year-old Seaford resident, was taken to the Royal Melbourne hospital with serious head injuries.
Casey Traffic Management Unit (TMU) Sergeant Pat McGavigan said the driver got out of the car by himself but started to convulse soon after.
“An unlicensed driver behaving in this way is a recipe for disaster,” Sgt McGavigan said.
Local emergency services attended the crash and helped in the rescue response and collision clean-up.
The crash caused overhead power lines to fall down, resulting in a power black-out in the immediate vicinity.
Sgt McGavigan said the driver’s welfare was currently the main concern and he was yet to be interviewed in relation to the collision.
Both men remain in a serious condition in hospital.
He said the last fortnight on Casey roads had been a terrible period, with two fatalities and many other major injuries occurring in several separate collisions.
“People have got to wake up to themselves,” Sgt McGavigan said.
“Tragedy can occur at anytime when driving a car,” he said.
Sgt McGavigan pleaded for all road-users, including drivers, pedestrians and cyclists to be vigilant and make sure they were constantly behaving in a responsible manner.
“We were doing so well up until a fortnight ago. We come out and praise the public and then something like this happens,” he said.

Digital Editions


  • Funding call to further combat racism

    Funding call to further combat racism

    An anti-racism support network has provided its first insights after a year of documenting racism across the state, the first of its kind in Australia.…

More News

  • A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A Casey-based Girl Guides group dedicated to empowering girls and young women has delivered a heartfelt show of support to local frontline volunteers. Narre Warren North Girl Guides recently visited…

  • Local university launches new initiative to provide free professional attire for students

    Local university launches new initiative to provide free professional attire for students

    As cost of living increasingly becomes a barrier for many tertiary students, a local Casey university is taking matters into their own hands with their new ‘Styled for Success at…

  • Food for thought ahead of bigger Ramadan Night Market

    Food for thought ahead of bigger Ramadan Night Market

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467847 Excitement grows ahead of the upcoming three-week Ramadan Night Market that promises to be bigger and better, but existing traders in Dandenong have…

  • Minister’s warm welcome to Wellsprings

    Minister’s warm welcome to Wellsprings

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532816 Wellsprings for Women welcomed the Federal Minister for Multicultural Affairs, Dr Anne Aly, who saw first hand the South East-based centre’s efforts to…

  • Colourful weekend

    Colourful weekend

    It was a colourful weekend for more than 100 community members who attended the council’s annual rainbow picnic. Held at Berwick’s Old Cheese Factory on Saturday 7 February, over 120…