CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Chook farm’s VCAT appeal

Chook farm’s VCAT appeal

APPLICANTS for a controversial egg farm in Tooradin have taken their case to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).
In June, council refused to back the application until an environmental impact study had been undertaken.
Last week applicant David Proctor decided to take the issue straight to VCAT in a bid to build an egg farm on the South Gippsland Highway.
The development includes five layer sheds holding up to 50,000 birds, three rearing sheds, 16 silos and a packing and sales building.
Furious local residents were called into action last week, with 100 people turning up at a public meeting at the Tooradin Sports Club last Friday night to decide what their next action would be.
Organisers Graeme and Janet Abelthorpe said the massive response at last week’s and past meetings proved the egg farm could not go ahead.
Mrs Abelthorpe said she was baffled that the plan was even being considered with its close proximity to town and residential properties.
She said residents opposed the proposal because it was out of character with the surrounding area, was incompatible with existing use in the surrounding green wedge and rural conservation zone, and would be visual pollution to residents and tourists.
She said odour was also a massive problem with the wind blowing in a north-westerly to westerly direction back towards town, also affecting adjacent landowners, users of sporting facilities, the businesses and outdoor cafes along the main street, the local school, the tourist buses using Tooradin as a stopover on the way to Phillip Island, the many locals and visitors who used picnic, fishing and boating facilities, and the monthly outdoor market.
She also said the egg farm’s proximity to Western Port was very concerning and the fact that it would be located in a flood zone, which could have serious environmental impacts on the natural resource.
Mayor Colin Butler said the council still had to form an opinion on whether it would continue to oppose the application after receiving the notice of an appeal last week.
He said the council would decide on its next course of action after it received the results of the environmental impact study.

Digital Editions


More News

  • A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A Casey-based Girl Guides group dedicated to empowering girls and young women has delivered a heartfelt show of support to local frontline volunteers. Narre Warren North Girl Guides recently visited…

  • Local university launches new initiative to provide free professional attire for students

    Local university launches new initiative to provide free professional attire for students

    As cost of living increasingly becomes a barrier for many tertiary students, a local Casey university is taking matters into their own hands with their new ‘Styled for Success at…

  • Food for thought ahead of bigger Ramadan Night Market

    Food for thought ahead of bigger Ramadan Night Market

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467847 Excitement grows ahead of the upcoming three-week Ramadan Night Market that promises to be bigger and better, but existing traders in Dandenong have…

  • Minister’s warm welcome to Wellsprings

    Minister’s warm welcome to Wellsprings

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532816 Wellsprings for Women welcomed the Federal Minister for Multicultural Affairs, Dr Anne Aly, who saw first hand the South East-based centre’s efforts to…

  • Colourful weekend

    Colourful weekend

    It was a colourful weekend for more than 100 community members who attended the council’s annual rainbow picnic. Held at Berwick’s Old Cheese Factory on Saturday 7 February, over 120…