CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Mens Shed’s long-awaited opening

Mens Shed’s long-awaited opening

The 58 members of the Endeavour Hills Men’s Shed at last formally opened its ‘new’ headquarters last week.

The members moved into their impressively-sized $1.2 million shed in Syd Pargeter Reserve just on 12 months ago, but the opening ceremony had been Covid-delayed.

In short time however, the shed has been a hive of activity – with a woodwork and metalwork workshop, sausage sizzles, a ukulele and guitar group and a camera club.

Secretary Paul Morris says there’s often enquiries from “wives and girlfriends” as much as men.

“They say I wish you could get my dad or husband out of the house because he’s a bit of a nuisance.

“And the men come down and fall in love with the place.”

The aim of the Men’s Shed is to improve men’s health, Mr Morris says.

“Everyone is smiling here – that’s what it’s all about.”

Their new workshop is abuzz most days, with members working on special projects – often in response to public requests.

Like outdoor furniture for Montague’s orchards in Lysterfield and for Parks Victoria in Cardinia Reservoir, raised garden beds for a disabled pensioner, and children’s toys.

At the official opening were Casey chair of administrators Noelene Duff, Narre Warren North MP Luke Donnellan and Bruce MP Julian Hill.

Ms Duff said that the new site would allow the members to continue the great work for the community and to expand their activities.

“Since 2017, the Endeavour Hills Men’s Shed has provided a place where people can come together to share their skills, find a creative outlet and make those invaluable social connections.

“At a time when social isolation is increasing in the community, groups like this that provide purpose and a sense of belonging for people are so valuable.

“While the workshop is a fantastic space for the Men’s Shed, the rest of this building has delivered a new hireable space that will be well used by other members of the community for a range of activities.”

The new shed is a far cry from the group’s cramped first home at Essex Drive Community Centre, which was shared with other users.

Before each get-together, the men had to roll in a mobile storage unit of tools and shuffle around the furniture to create a workshop.

City of Casey contributed $1.1 million to the shed, the State Government $80,000 and the Men’s Shed $40,000.

The Endeavour Hills Men’s Shed is aiming for 100 members. It’s open from Tuesday-Saturday 10am-3pm with a Tuesday meeting and sausage-sizzle lunch. To join, call 0418 313 395.

Digital Editions


  • Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 470334 Residents are still seeking answers over an advanced-waste plan that’s extending the life of waste facilities near Hampton…

More News

  • Yabbies in pursuit of Cobras total to stay in hot finals race

    Yabbies in pursuit of Cobras total to stay in hot finals race

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533222 When the back is against the wall a response is needed. And Pakenham Upper/Toomuc’s back is pressed hard against the wall in a…

  • Cranny avoids the drop

    Cranny avoids the drop

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 530052 Valentine’s Day saw the last round of Weekend Pennant Bowls played as next week the finals begin. On a beautiful Saturday to play…

  • Tons galore in lower grades

    Tons galore in lower grades

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533224 B GRADE Table-leaders Pakenham Upper/Toomuc have been set a monumental task by Tooradin after the Seagulls posted 267 in the first innings at…

  • Clyde house fire leaves one injured, cause under investigation

    Clyde house fire leaves one injured, cause under investigation

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534668 Emergency services were called to a house fire in Clyde on Friday 13 February, with one person sustaining injury and taken to hospital.…

  • Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    An alleged serial car thief has been charged after using electronic key reprogramming devices to steal at least 25 cars across Melbourne, police say. The 27-year-old faces more than 60…