CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » It’s justice

It’s justice

Left: St Peter's College teacher Paul Gyulavary lost his twin brother in the September 11 terror attacks in the United States. 64391Picture: Stewart ChambersLeft: St Peter’s College teacher Paul Gyulavary lost his twin brother in the September 11 terror attacks in the United States. 64391Picture: Stewart Chambers

By Bridget Cook
A GREAT sense of relief and justice were the emotions felt by a Cranbourne teacher whose twin brother was killed in the September 11 terror attacks, when he heard the news of Osama bin Laden’s death.
St Peter’s College teacher Paul Gyulavary said he was at school when he heard the news of the demise of the key terrorist figure.
“I felt a great sense of relief and a sense of justice,” he said. “Initially I also thought it could spark revenge attacks.”
Mr Gyulavary said he understood why people in the United States celebrated at the news, but he felt rejoicing was inappropriate.
“I wanted to take a measured approach,” he said.
“I didn’t want to celebrate this, it doesn’t undo what happened. “
Mr Gyulavary’s brother Peter was working as an architect in tower two, on level 91.
In the moments after the first tower was hit by a passenger jet, Peter called his wife who told him to get out.
Not knowing what disaster lay ahead, Peter decided to stay in the building – following the instructions from a voiceover announcement to all workers.
Peter’s body was later found about 100 metres south of tower two, after his body was ejected from the collapsing building.
Peter left behind his wife and one child.
Mr Gyulavary said he didn’t believe bin Laden’s death would bring an end to terrorism.
“Symbolically it’s going to make a difference,” he said.
“The morale of al-Qaeda is going to be dented. Their leader is now dead.
“It’s not going to be ever over. The question to follow now is how are they going to respond.”
This year marks the 10th anniversary of the attacks on the World Trade Centre.
Mr Gyulavary said he had planned to visit the United States for the anniversary, and take his daughter, who was Peter’s goddaughter.
“At this stage, I’m still thinking about it and whether to go,” he said.
“It’s still very raw, what happened last week. It alters the situation.
“I think in a few weeks I’ll reconfigure everything and see if I still really want to go.
“I really need to consider security and safety. I’m not that concerned, but my wife genuinely is.”
St Peter’s College has planted a pear tree in memory of Mr Gyulavary’s brother, in its memorial garden.
“This is symbolic of re-growth and new life,” he said.
Mr Gyulavary said he no longer thought about the September 11 attacks and had moved on.
“I’ve walked out of the shadows,” he said.
“I’ve risen above the anger and darkness of September 11.
“Peter wouldn’t want me to live my life bitter and twisted, angry and screwed up.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Clyde house fire leaves one injured, cause under investigation

    Clyde house fire leaves one injured, cause under investigation

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534668 Emergency services were called to a house fire in Clyde on Friday 13 February, with one person sustaining injury and taken to hospital.…

  • Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    An alleged serial car thief has been charged after using electronic key reprogramming devices to steal at least 25 cars across Melbourne, police say. The 27-year-old faces more than 60…

  • Funding call to further combat racism

    Funding call to further combat racism

    An anti-racism support network has provided its first insights after a year of documenting racism across the state, the first of its kind in Australia. The network, established in 2025…

  • New Library Lounge opens in Clyde

    New Library Lounge opens in Clyde

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534227 The Clyde Township Community Centre is now home to a new Library Lounge, providing residents in Clyde and surrounding areas access to library…

  • Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three teenage boys were arrested last week following an alleged stabbing in Narre Warren. Police believe the altercation took place between a group of boys at a shopping centre on…