CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Axe-weilding man smashes up station

Axe-weilding man smashes up station

An axe-wielding man has gone a frightening rampage, smashing windows and terrorising commuters at Cranbourne Railway Station on Saturday morning, 29 February.

The incident unfolded when the crazed man walked into the reception area of the station, hurling abuse at nearby passengers before allegedly retrieving a large axe from his car and smashing the station’s glass sliding doors and ticket box window about 6.30am.

The sight caused panic among commuters, one of which “ran for his life” from the platform, according to an eyewitness who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

The witness said he saw a man of Caucasion appearance, who appeared to be drug affected, had been “chasing” commuters as they sat in the waiting area.

“There was a lady and another gentleman who were waiting,” the witness said.

“The station staff brought the lady inside and the other gentleman just ran for his life.

The reckless man, the witness said, then went to his car and picked up an axe before returning and “striking the glass panels”.

“That’s when he started getting physically violent.

“He brought an axe with him – literally a big one and he started chasing some passengers who were sitting in the waiting room.

“If someone was in the way he would’ve definitely got them”.

The witness said the chaotic scenes were over within two to three minutes before police arrived.

A woman manning the ticket box window was also in tears, the witness added.

Victoria police spokeswoman Nikki Ladgrove confirmed the incident, saying said no one was injured and police had arrested a 45-year-old man.

“It is believed the man attended a Fairfield Street address and allegedly smashed a front window with an axe about 6.30am,” Ms Ladgrove said.

Police said a resident raised the alarm before the man allegedly fled to a nearby railway station and smashed another window.

Police arrived shortly after and arrested the man at the scene.

He has been charged and remanded to appear at Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on Monday 2 March.

Geoff Wright, a Clyde North resident, said he arrived at the station with his wife just minutes after the incident and saw police talking to a horrified commuter, who told officers she had seen a man brandishing an axe before fleeing the scene.

A shocked Mr Wright took photos of the wreckage including shards of glass on the floor.

He added his wife, who catches the train each morning, regularly saw “druggies” loitering around the station – and had decided to wear a personal alarm for her own safety.

“She’ll ring me if there are any problems and I’ll be there in a flash,” Mr Wright said.

PSOs were reportedly not on duty at the time of the Saturday morning incident.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    The City of Casey has unanimously voted to submit a notice of motion to Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV), calling on the State Government to consider reforms to reduce impacts…

  • Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Cranbourne West residents are invited to have their say on plans to refresh Bernborough Avenue Reserve. The proposed district playground renewal aims to make the reserve more welcoming, enjoyable and…

  • Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 470334 Residents are still seeking answers over an advanced-waste plan that’s extending the life of waste facilities near Hampton Park homes, says Casey Residents…

  • Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work (WMIW), a grassroots network supporting women in business across Casey and Cardinia, marked its 20th anniversary with the launch of a new book sharing the personal…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…