CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Youth curfew promoter abused

Youth curfew promoter abused

Cranbourne North resident Steve Beardon says he has been harrassed and abused since proposing a youth curfew for Cranbourne.                                                                              Picture: Meagan Trotter.Cranbourne North resident Steve Beardon says he has been harrassed and abused since proposing a youth curfew for Cranbourne. Picture: Meagan Trotter.

By Alison Noonan
Steve Beardon claims he has received numerous abusive phone calls and says his house and car have been egged almost every weekend since publicising the controversial idea in June.
He said his plan to get young people off the streets after midnight had given him nothing but trouble and was worried the abuse would only get worse.
“I now have to put the car away every night in the garage and I’m sick of answering the phone to abuse or hangups when I answer it,” Mr Beardon said.
“The phone rings late at night and early morning as well.
“Kids abuse me on the phone and tell me my petitions have been taken by them and ripped up.”
Mr Beardon said that while he accepted that he put himself in the firing line by bringing the issue out in public, he would not back down to troublemakers.
“I really don’t need this and I’m sick of it,” he said.
“I accept that I raised the issue and put myself out there, but I did not break any laws in doing so.
“As naive as it seems it would be more appropriate if these kids used legitimate means such as the press to propose why they believe they are entitled to vandalise our neighbourhood instead of sneaking around at night doing damage.”
Mr Beardon said he had been fighting the battle against troublesome youth for years and deserved better than to be harassed for taking a stand.
“I wish the authorities would concede this sort of thing happens when individuals take a stand,” he said.
“You feel powerless with everyone in authority denying there is a problem with juvenile delinquents who obviously think they can do as they please and get away with it. People who work hard deserve better.”

Digital Editions


  • Funding call to further combat racism

    Funding call to further combat racism

    An anti-racism support network has provided its first insights after a year of documenting racism across the state, the first of its kind in Australia.…

More News

  • A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A Casey-based Girl Guides group dedicated to empowering girls and young women has delivered a heartfelt show of support to local frontline volunteers. Narre Warren North Girl Guides recently visited…

  • Local university launches new initiative to provide free professional attire for students

    Local university launches new initiative to provide free professional attire for students

    As cost of living increasingly becomes a barrier for many tertiary students, a local Casey university is taking matters into their own hands with their new ‘Styled for Success at…

  • Food for thought ahead of bigger Ramadan Night Market

    Food for thought ahead of bigger Ramadan Night Market

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467847 Excitement grows ahead of the upcoming three-week Ramadan Night Market that promises to be bigger and better, but existing traders in Dandenong have…

  • Minister’s warm welcome to Wellsprings

    Minister’s warm welcome to Wellsprings

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532816 Wellsprings for Women welcomed the Federal Minister for Multicultural Affairs, Dr Anne Aly, who saw first hand the South East-based centre’s efforts to…

  • Colourful weekend

    Colourful weekend

    It was a colourful weekend for more than 100 community members who attended the council’s annual rainbow picnic. Held at Berwick’s Old Cheese Factory on Saturday 7 February, over 120…