CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Our dogs have their day

Our dogs have their day

By GEORGIA WESTGARTH

PEARCEDALE’S Jason Thompson is one of the country’s leading greyhound trainers and says he can’t see much movement for the local industry, in the wake of the New South Wales government’s decision to shut down the sport next year.
Mr Thompson, a family man who has been in the greyhound racing business close to 30 years told The News: “It’s not that easy for anybody to uproot their lives and move interstate.”
He said the influx of trainers and dogs that was first reported wouldn’t be a large one.
“It’s only natural some trainers who want to pursue careers will move interstate and perhaps choose Victoria but I’m sure Greyhound Racing Victoria (GRV) will put due processes in place to ensure they can relocate,” Mr Thompson said.
“Financially and logistically a move might not be viable – I don’t think an influx is an issue at all.”
Mr Thompson, 47, trains 20 greyhounds out of his Pearcedale property and has done for 13 years.
His last Group 1 win amounted to $250,000, just two weeks ago, and he said the livelihoods of the interstate trainers were where the true cost lay.
“I was quite shocked – I didn’t see it coming and it’s obviously very disappointing, all I can do is feel sorry for the NSW people.
“This affects families and that’s where it becomes hard.”
Mr Thompson said the swift action from the Victorian Government to assure the local industry’s future shows great certainty in the GRV.
“I think people in the community should gain confidence in that it wasn’t a delayed reaction from the State Government, it was immediate, that’s got to be reassuring,” he said.
“The way our industry runs down here is just so professional and thorough, hence why the government is backing the industry.”
Damning ABC footage came out of a Tooradin track last year, showing animals being strapped to lures and ripped apart while being used as live-bait. This fuelled a Special Commission of Inquiry into the Greyhound Racing Industry.
But Mr Thompson says Victoria acted and is running the way it needs to.
“We are in such a strong position in Victoria, we’ve acted the way we needed to and I think there lies the problem – perhaps NSW might not have.
“I’d like to think the implementation of strict welfare changes to the industry has been easy – it was simple for me, we really didn’t have to make any changes and on the whole I think it has been much the same – but I can only comment on my own experience.”
A confident Mr Thompson said the greyhound racing industry had a strong future in Victoria.
“From what I’ve heard Queensland, South Australia and Western Australia have all come out in support of the industry and they have confidence in the industry which is what we need to hear,” he said.
Attorney General and Victorian Minister for Racing, Martin Pakula, took to Twitter on Thursday 7 July to show his support for the embattled sport.
Mr Pakula tweeted:
“I am backing @GRV_News to continue and complete the reform job it commenced more than 12 months ago.
“None of the Perna, Milne or Bittar reports recommended the shutdown of Victorian greyhound racing. It is an industry that employs thousands.
“But since live baiting the industry’s been on notice. Every participant should know its future depends on ongoing commitment to reform.”
The NSW Government’s decision, announced on Thursday 7 July, is based on the Special Commission of Inquiry into the Greyhound Racing Industry – which found overwhelming evidence of systemic animal cruelty, including mass greyhound killings and live-baiting.
Yesterday Premier Mike Baird and Deputy Premier and Minister for Racing Troy Grant announced that their government was acting to protect animal welfare as a priority, and was planning for an orderly industry shutdown.
The pair released the inquiry report which found that between 48,000 and 68,000 greyhounds – or at least half of all greyhounds bred to race – were killed in the past 12 years because they were deemed uncompetitive.
Shortly after the NSW announcement, the ACT announced that it would also move to ban the sport in Australia’s capital.

Digital Editions


More News

  • A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A Casey-based Girl Guides group dedicated to empowering girls and young women has delivered a heartfelt show of support to local frontline volunteers. Narre Warren North Girl Guides recently visited…

  • Local university launches new initiative to provide free professional attire for students

    Local university launches new initiative to provide free professional attire for students

    As cost of living increasingly becomes a barrier for many tertiary students, a local Casey university is taking matters into their own hands with their new ‘Styled for Success at…

  • Food for thought ahead of bigger Ramadan Night Market

    Food for thought ahead of bigger Ramadan Night Market

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467847 Excitement grows ahead of the upcoming three-week Ramadan Night Market that promises to be bigger and better, but existing traders in Dandenong have…

  • Minister’s warm welcome to Wellsprings

    Minister’s warm welcome to Wellsprings

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532816 Wellsprings for Women welcomed the Federal Minister for Multicultural Affairs, Dr Anne Aly, who saw first hand the South East-based centre’s efforts to…

  • Colourful weekend

    Colourful weekend

    It was a colourful weekend for more than 100 community members who attended the council’s annual rainbow picnic. Held at Berwick’s Old Cheese Factory on Saturday 7 February, over 120…