CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Sweet victory for X Men

Sweet victory for X Men

By RUSSELL BENNETT

“WE were lucky to have a club at all after what we’d been through.”
Those aren’t empty words from St Francis Xavier Old Collegians Football Club president Chris Seuren – they’re reality – and that’s precisely what makes Sunday’s premiership triumph so special.
The X Men claimed the VAFA Club XVIII (2) title with a big win over the Melbourne High School Old Boys, 15.10 (100) to 4.5 (29).
“I was just so massively proud of all the boys,” he said on Monday, still celebrating the group’s achievement from the day before.
“We were lucky to have a club at all after what we’d been through, but we had 25 to 26 very committed blokes who refused to let the club die.”
Seuren reserved special praise for player-coach Trent Pearson, who the Gazette understands wasn’t paid a cent in the 2015 season.
“He’s just been fantastic for us,” Seuren said.
“It was a huge commitment from him – he did a super, super job.”
Seuren said everything fell into place for his side, with strong numbers on the training track after the first month or so of the season.
“We played Albert Park three times and when we played them the second time we won by 10 goals at their ground and that was a huge result for us,” Seuren said, indicating that was one of the side’s key moments of the season.
“I guess we were just fitter than other sides – we were able to over-run them at the end of games.
“They came out hard against us on the weekend – they kicked the first two goals of the second quarter, but then we were five goals up at half-time.”
Seuren praised the likes of Sam Burns, captain Sean Dullard, and Chris Hughes – who are all in their prime footy years.
“From where we were at, now as a group we’ve just come such a long way,” he said.
Seuren said the X Men still had some “massive” improvements to make off-field when it came to the likes of junior club affiliation, and said there were ongoing discussions about which competition they’d be in next year.
“I guess it’s been a matter of surviving year to year up until now,” he said.
“Now we’re talking about five to 10-year strategic plans.
“We’ve got to run the club like a business.”
Sunday’s result marked a seismic shift from where the club had been earlier this year.
Seuren told the Gazette back in April, for example, that he took the presidency on once again because he “just couldn’t let the club die”.
A lack of numbers has forced them out of the VAFA’s Division 3 competition and back down to Club XVIII – right where they started in 2007.
But now, thanks to Seuren, Pearson, the club’s playing group and its diehard members and committee, it’s living strong.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    The City of Casey has unanimously voted to submit a notice of motion to Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV), calling on the State Government to consider reforms to reduce impacts…

  • Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Cranbourne West residents are invited to have their say on plans to refresh Bernborough Avenue Reserve. The proposed district playground renewal aims to make the reserve more welcoming, enjoyable and…

  • Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 470334 Residents are still seeking answers over an advanced-waste plan that’s extending the life of waste facilities near Hampton Park homes, says Casey Residents…

  • Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work (WMIW), a grassroots network supporting women in business across Casey and Cardinia, marked its 20th anniversary with the launch of a new book sharing the personal…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…