CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Stripped of JP title

Stripped of JP title

By BRIDGET COOK

A FORMER Casey councillor has been stripped of his privileged Justice of the Peace (JP) title, after being convicted of trespass and resisting arrest.
The City of Casey wrote to the Department of Justice late last year seeking a review of Paul Richardson’s status as a JP, after he was found guilty and convicted for charges of trespass and resisting arrest at the Dandenong Magistrates’ Court in November.
The charges stemmed from a rowdy council meeting in April 2012, where Mr Richardson refused to leave the gallery when asked to do so.
Police were called and had to forcibly remove him from the council chambers.
On Thursday, Mr Richardson’s status as a JP was formally revoked under s116 of the Magistrates’ Court Act 1989, by an order published in the 10 April 2014 Victorian Government Gazette.
A spokesperson for the Attorney-General Robert Clark said he made the decision following the recommendation from the independent investigator into the matter.
“A complaint was received by the Honorary Justice Office (HJO) in November 2013 and the complaints procedure as outlined on the HJO website was followed,” the spokesperson said.
“As required by the procedure, an independent investigator – a retired magistrate – was appointed.
“The independent investigator recommended that Mr Richardson’s appointment be revoked and the Attorney-General accepted this recommendation.”
City of Casey mayor Geoff Ablett said clearly the State Government did not believe Mr Richardson’s conduct and conviction was fitting for such an esteemed and privileged position.
“JPs are held in high regard and fulfil a high level of responsibility to the community,” he said.
“The government’s decision to revoke Mr Richardson’s status as a JP is something which happens rarely and only when someone is bringing the office of JP into disrepute.”
Mr Richardson said he would reserve his comments on the matter to a later date, when he will expose the full corrupt history of the City of Casey from 2002 onwards.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    The City of Casey has unanimously voted to submit a notice of motion to Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV), calling on the State Government to consider reforms to reduce impacts…

  • Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Consultation open for the upgrade of Bernborough Avenue Reserve

    Cranbourne West residents are invited to have their say on plans to refresh Bernborough Avenue Reserve. The proposed district playground renewal aims to make the reserve more welcoming, enjoyable and…

  • Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 470334 Residents are still seeking answers over an advanced-waste plan that’s extending the life of waste facilities near Hampton Park homes, says Casey Residents…

  • Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work (WMIW), a grassroots network supporting women in business across Casey and Cardinia, marked its 20th anniversary with the launch of a new book sharing the personal…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…