CRANBOURNE STAR NEWS
Home » Ablett looks like he’s across the line

Ablett looks like he’s across the line

By Victoria Stone-Meadows

AS PRELIMINARY results from the 2016 Casey council elections begin to roll in, it appears the winner of Balla Balla Ward is incumbent councillor Geoff Ablett.
Figures results released on the Victorian Election Commission website on Thursday 27 October places Cr Ablett with 55.61 per cent of first preference votes with 37.75 per cent of the votes left to count.
Cr Ablett has said he is happy with the results so far but isn’t officially claiming victory just yet.
“It’s terrific news and I’m very pleased with results so far,” he said.
The next closest candidate at this stage is Tom Rennick with 1582 first preference votes, or 13.98 per cent of the votes counted.
While the official results of the election won’t be known until between Friday 28 October and Monday 31 October, Mr Rennick has already conceded defeat.
“I think it’s pretty much done and dusted at this point,” Mr Rennick said.
“It’s quite nice that I’ve had just over 10 per cent of the constituents think I’m worthwhile but I can’t see that much changing as I think the other three candidates will be preferencing Geoff.”
“I wish him all the best and I hope him and Casey do a good job in the next four years.”
Although gracious in defeat, Mr Rennick said these results won’t stop him from working to improve the City of Casey.
“If another opportunity arises for me to assist Casey in the further then I will do that,” he said.
There are still 7047 votes left to count for the Balla Balla Ward and Cr Ablett must maintain a total of 50 per cent of the first preference votes to be declared the winner.
If the first preferences of the remaining votes to be counted reduce Cr Ablett’s margin to less than 50 per cent, second preferences will then be counted to declare a winner.
Cr Ablett said he was surprised to get so many first preference votes and is cautiously optimistic that the trend will continue in his favour.
“I hope the remaining postal votes that come in don’t lower me below 50 per cent but it’s a good result at the moment and I hope it continues,” he said.
“I didn’t think that anybody would get over 50 with the primary.”

Digital Editions


  • Funding call to further combat racism

    Funding call to further combat racism

    An anti-racism support network has provided its first insights after a year of documenting racism across the state, the first of its kind in Australia.…

More News

  • A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A Casey-based Girl Guides group dedicated to empowering girls and young women has delivered a heartfelt show of support to local frontline volunteers. Narre Warren North Girl Guides recently visited…

  • Local university launches new initiative to provide free professional attire for students

    Local university launches new initiative to provide free professional attire for students

    As cost of living increasingly becomes a barrier for many tertiary students, a local Casey university is taking matters into their own hands with their new ‘Styled for Success at…

  • Food for thought ahead of bigger Ramadan Night Market

    Food for thought ahead of bigger Ramadan Night Market

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467847 Excitement grows ahead of the upcoming three-week Ramadan Night Market that promises to be bigger and better, but existing traders in Dandenong have…

  • Minister’s warm welcome to Wellsprings

    Minister’s warm welcome to Wellsprings

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532816 Wellsprings for Women welcomed the Federal Minister for Multicultural Affairs, Dr Anne Aly, who saw first hand the South East-based centre’s efforts to…

  • Colourful weekend

    Colourful weekend

    It was a colourful weekend for more than 100 community members who attended the council’s annual rainbow picnic. Held at Berwick’s Old Cheese Factory on Saturday 7 February, over 120…